Oklahoma Senate panel approves open-carry bill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

av8r115

Whatever happens I have a hunch that it is going to be entertaining. Politicians love perfidy and can be quite creative.
No doubt. Still, I hope everyone will get on the phone and let their representatives know we want this passed. We don't want to leave this to chance. Just because it passed the last time doesn't mean it will definitely pass again. We need to constantly remind legislators who they work for.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No doubt. Still, I hope everyone will get on the phone and let their representatives know we want this passed. We don't want to leave this to chance. Just because it passed the last time doesn't mean it will definitely pass again. We need to constantly remind legislators who they work for.

I hope open carry passes. I hope the governor signs it. I hope no anti-gun group sues to block it after it becomes law. Some day I'd like to walk down the street, just once, free to exercise my right to keep and BEAR arms as the founders envisioned we could.

But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it. Our masters don't want us to be able to exercise our rights without their permission and when it comes to OC in Oklahoma - they'll pay lip service to the concept and then play every legislative trick possible to keep it out of the books.

Nope - not gonna hold my breath.

cowmugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The title is stricken. It cannot become law without a title, and they know that. Ref: Veggie Meat 03-15-2011 04:37 thread: open carry?

All bills must have a title and enacting clause. The "title" is the part that lists all the statutes that it is making a change to, like an index of the sections in the bill. The "enacting clause" is the Constitutionally required text of "BE IT ENACTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OKLAHOMA".

Striking the title or enacting clause is a parliamentary game to make a vote more symbolic than anything.

A "stricken title" looks like this:
[ Oklahoma Self-Defense Act - adding condition - effective date*]
An intact title looks like this:
An Act relating to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act; amending 21 O.S. 2001, Section 1289.6, which relates to conditions under which firearms may be carried; adding certain condition; and providing an effective date.

Just found this......
Mr./Madame President:

I move to amend Senate Bill No. 1733, by restoring the title.

Submitted by:

Last edited:

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just sent an e-mail urging Scott Inman to pass this bill and not screw around like he did last time. I give it 1 chance in 5 that he'll actually listen.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I asked my State Senator why they needed to create a totally new bill when the old one that easily passed both houses only to be vetoed by the Governor would be just fine. If they really wanted to pass this they would have reintroduced that bill that originally had their support and demand the new Governor keep her promise to sign it. When they started the process from scratch this session it told me that they are looking for a way out.

The previous bill was exactly what most Oklahomans wanted and our Reps new that they were safe in passing it because they knew it would be vetoed. Right now they are just attempting to water that bill down not to ensure its passage but to make sure that if passed it will not be the good law Oklahomans wanted.

Michael

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The title is stricken. It cannot become law without a title, and they know that. Ref: Veggie Meat 03-15-2011 04:37 thread: open carry?

All bills must have a title and enacting clause. The "title" is the part that lists all the statutes that it is making a change to, like an index of the sections in the bill. The "enacting clause" is the Constitutionally required text of "BE IT ENACTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OKLAHOMA".

Striking the title or enacting clause is a parliamentary game to make a vote more symbolic than anything.

A "stricken title" looks like this:
[ Oklahoma Self-Defense Act - adding condition - effective date*]
An intact title looks like this:
An Act relating to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act; amending 21 O.S. 2001, Section 1289.6, which relates to conditions under which firearms may be carried; adding certain condition; and providing an effective date.

Just found this......
Mr./Madame President:

I move to amend Senate Bill No. 1733, by restoring the title.

Submitted by:

Something tells me that there is no way to know who is responsible for torpedoing the bill. Perfidy.

007Poke

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe it is all probably election year theatrics. If my Representative and Senator do not support and vote for the restoration of my right I will vote not vote them pure and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom