Old 38 Special Ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toytaco2

Marksman
Reaction score
I picked up a really nice S&W Model 10 revolver that I think has never been fired. Ser# looks like 1980-81 production. There was a full box of Remington 158gr and someone has written 1981 on the box. Since ammo is so hard to get its tempting to shoot it, but 32 year old ammo is new ground for me. Is it safe to attempt shooting this stuff & if so, what concerns should I have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shoot it!
that ain't old for ammo, I just sent a few rounds of 1959 30-06 military down range through my 30-06.
That older stuff may be more accurate than new.
I just ran out of the ammo we got back in the early 1980's for my 30-30 about 5 years ago...
The new stuff would not group well so i started reloading

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My newest military surplus ammo is stuff from the 1970's...everything else goes as far back as 1930's.

Only concern is that since someone wrote 1981 on the box it may be handloads, and I don't shoot stranger's handloads of any year.

Please just make sure it's factory loads.

Toytaco2

Marksman
Reaction score
Good call on the reloads. I got the gun & box of cartridges late last night and spent my time looking the gun over. Tonight as I examined the Remington cartridge box I see that the casings are a variety of manufacturers with a few having some bloating visible at the base of some the lead bullets. I won't be shooting these!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
yeah, reloads that are not your own can be dangerous. you could trade it to someone that has a lever action in 38/357. the rifle should handle it ok.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys are all wrong. The safest way would be to contact okietom's ammo disposal service. For a really small fee he will meet you close to your home wearing a hazmat suit and take it to a remote ammo deloading site. There he will render the unstable ammo into an inert state.

As the empty brass will no doubt be contaminated he will take care of that in a safe manner also. If at all possible he can apply for subsidies that will pay the fee for you making it basically a free service. I personally know him and will arrange for an expedited service for fellow OSA gun owners.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or pull the lead and build your own ammo. if you have that option.

This is the route I'd go.

Please do not shoot these through anything... even a rifle or a .357.

Years ago I spoke with a guy who was told by "someone" that it was okay to load a .357 case full of Bullseye.

He fired a few rounds through a Ruger Security Six, and stopped because it hurt so badly.

I told him to run, not walk, to the nearest gunsmith and have them check it out.

No damage done...which made me feel better about my Sec Six. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom