Old boy scout knife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cleaning out my Dad's garage and ran across either mine or my brother's boy scout all-in-one knife. About 50 years old!

Is there a solution or something I could soak this in to help start getting through all the rust/oxidation? Thanks!
boy scout knife.jpg

Settled_Nomad

"Be Curious, Not Judgmental." -- Ted Lasso
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My best childhood friend and I bought that in 1976 at Anthony's in Ada, Oklahoma. I can still remember that day as if it was last week. We took turns wearing it to our BSA meetings, but because his mom was very protective, I ended up keeping it at my house. He is still a 50% owner. Good memories.

I have been tempted to bring it to a professional knife builder to get it cleaned up/restored, but thinking as is, tells a better story

Attachments

• BSA Knife.jpg
    BSA Knife.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A 50/50 vinegar and water solution will start removing the rust but not sure what it will do to the grips. If you do try it, soak for no more than 30 minutes at a time then rinse completely or it will eat the metal. I was going to do it with my old folding Kabar but I am worried it will damage the grips.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don’t think I’d soak it in anything, hard to tell from the picture but those look like wood scales??? I’d clean it like a gun using brass and nylon brushes, Hoppe’s 9 and some 0000 steel wool. Kroil would also be a good choice.
I'm pretty sure they're simulated wood but get your thinking. 👍

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of course I had one. I had a flint fire starter too.

Kinda off topic, but still scout related. One day, Mrs. GED and I were in the old Crossroads Mall (remember it?) way back in the day (1986) and upon our entrance in the upper level, I could hear a familiar sound. I wasn't quite sure what it was, but I knew I had heard it before.

As we approached the railed overlook, I looked down to the lower level, and was shocked at what I saw...

Pinewood Derby! :w000t:

Anybody who was a scout back in the day can relate to the total feeling of joy and happiness that would consume my entire being at very moment.

I sprinted towards the stairs, leaving my bride behind, and was as excited as a virgin on prom night. I was reminded of my days in scouts when I saw all the dads, with their graphite stained hands, prepping the cars for the dragstrip, while their sons eagerly watched in amazement and wonder.

Yep...good times. Thanks for indulging me in a quick walk down memory lane.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of course I had one. I had a flint fire starter too.

Kinda off topic, but still scout related. One day, Mrs. GED and I were in the old Crossroads Mall (remember it?) way back in the day (1986) and upon our entrance in the upper level, I could hear a familiar sound. I wasn't quite sure what it was, but I knew I had heard it before.

As we approached the railed overlook, I looked down to the lower level, and was shocked at what I saw...

Pinewood Derby! :w000t:

Anybody who was a scout back in the day can relate to the total feeling of joy and happiness that would consume my entire being at very moment.

I sprinted towards the stairs, leaving my bride behind, and was as excited as a virgin on prom night. I was reminded of my days in scouts when I saw all the dads, with their graphite stained hands, prepping the cars for the dragstrip, while their sons eagerly watched in amazement and wonder.

Yep...good times. Thanks for indulging me in a quick walk down memory lane.
Okay, this is a little spooky now. Along with the knife was my old pinewood derby car! Championship winning car I might add with a trophy somewhere to prove it. Will get my Mom to take a picture and send to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom