Old school vs New school

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My firearms interests go in waves. Sometimes I get on a revolver kick and a couple months later I might decide I need some AR upgrades. I grew up with classic reproduction black powder revolvers and an appreciation for the guns of yesteryear.

After Sandy Hook and the doomsday predictions of strict gun laws and/or bans I didn't sweat it much since I can have plenty of fun with guns that don't scare politicians. I still don't want to see those rights taken away from anyone and I'll defend those rights any way I can.

I keep leaning toward the old school guns: black powder, .22 lever actions, cartridge conversions, etc. I guess I'm just a sucker for history. A Glock is fantastic at what it does and I've put my share of rounds through stuff like that. But to handle an old Colt or Remington (even repros) from the Civil War days, that's what gets me going.

I'm probably the odd man out but I can see a day when I own 3 or 4 modern guns and the rest will be Old School!

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, love my M4, but also Swedish Mauser that's 100 yrs old, a pleasure to shoot, and ACCURATE. I have 4 lever guns. My 1911, would be that be OLD New school or New Old school, is fun; but hunt with a Super Blackhawk.

Most fun we had one afternoon, took my buddy out, he brought his Super Blackhawk and we shot turtles with cases full of Pyrodex and topped with round ball.

I like the variety, the nostalgia, the history, the FUN. I don't consider myself a collector, I buy / collect what I like / want. I can appreciate those who have collections of 1 type of arm, but it's not for me.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You probably draw your line between old and new about 50 years farther back in history than I do. However I do like firearms from yesteryear. Nobody makes them like they use and the people that try usually close up shop in a few years.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with you flatwins. Besides the few modern guns that i hunt with and a couple of AR's, the rest are classics or of classic design. 100 year old military guns like swedes,1903's, garands and mausers are a blast to shoot and keeping them alive is a joy. I own one 9mm and its a barreta 92, so its still a classic in its own right. the rest are revolvers and single actions.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I always liked the revolvers, lever guns, and all steel semi auto hand guns, until the last couple of years.

Now that I have gotten over my disdain for plastic firearms, I actually really like the modern guns more.

I still have a soft spot for "old school" S&W revolvers and Marlin lever guns though.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only non-semi gun I own is my mosin, and it's tricked out all tacticool, but it is one of my favorites. I REALLY want a garand one of these days (I fell in love with my grandpa's when I was younger), a nice lever gun in 30-30 or 45LC, and a couple revolvers.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ive got a Garand, 1894 30-30, 45 colt 1892, and Henry golden boy 22. A couple 45 colt Blackhawks. My absolute favorite is ruger new vaquero in 45acp 3.75" barrel. Just something about wheel guns that feels like precision clockwork.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's one of my favorites, a Paterson replica by Uberti. Colt circa 1836. True old school!

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_45c64ae1.jpg

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_paterson.jpg

Another fun one, a '51 Navy converted to .38 Spl.

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_d6fedb3d.jpg

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as every man has a semi auto rifle for fighting, I support interest in older designs. Great to learn about the past and fun to shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom