One-buck proposal for the combined muzzleloader and gun seasons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure this will start a fight but I strongly believe that you shouldn't be able to kill bucks early archery. They are so easy to pattern and if you want bigger bucks the mature deer must make it to the rut. And I'm also in favor of not being issued a buck tag until after you have tagged a doe. And growing up in Arkansas saw the benefit of the "three point rule". In just a few years the quality of the deer in my region had improved. My dad wouldn't let me kill a buck that we deemed to young. It takes education Patience and will power to pass a dandy young buck but if you don't wait until they are 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 years old you haven't let allowed them to reach their potential. And even if you have rules and follow them if your "neighbors" don't have or follow the same guidelines or have incentive to do so you suffer. But to the point one buck only by any method would be fine with me.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7stw.... The rut ain't no harder to kill a buck than early season feeding patterns. I'd say it actually a lot easier during the rut. You do realize that mature bucks only do a small portion of the breeding. All bucks breed doe even 1.5 year bucks will breed just as many doe as a mature one. Genetics are genetic it makes no difference the age of the buck when the breeding took place. That mature buck 4.5/5.5 has been breeding his whole life and passed his blood on many times. Next, the rut starts as soon as the horns harden and continues till the horns fall off. That means breeding is being done as early as September and can run all the way to January or longer. The peak rut (Early/Mid November) is when we see the large part of the breeding but not all if even half of it.
For the sake of argument, I'll go back to Kansas. Their muzzleloader starts mid September and they have way better quality deer than Ok or AR.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To add to the fun, I decided to write this to post when they start accepting comments on the issue.

The new antlered deer limit proposition is a positive step to help get the hunting community to have a more quality deer herd and to allow younger bucks to reach maturity. Oklahoma is an underrated state when it comes to quality deer, but the trophy or mature bucks are few and far between. Steps to improve the amount of mature deer need to be made and by doing so the state could reap the rewards.

I believe the new proposition would help with reducing the amount of younger bucks being taken as most trophy hunters would only have one tag to fill between muzzleloader and modern firearm seasons. In my personal opinion, two tags available to muzzleloader and modern firearm season hunters allows them to “settle” on a smaller younger buck if the deer presents a good shot. They do this knowing they have a chance to get a more mature trophy buck in the modern rifle season. Having only one tag available for the two seasons would make a hunter choose more wisely on a deer and also allow bucks to have better odds of survival until maturity. Although tough, muzzleloader and modern firearms have a much higher success rate than archery. Hunters who take a buck in the combined muzzleloader and modern firearm season would have a much more difficult challenge with archery hunting to harvest their second buck. This low success rate gives bucks a much higher percentage of surviving through the season.

I have a few ideas that I think would drastically help with our mature buck population. First off, let’s look at our two neighboring states that are well known for their mature trophy bucks. Texas and Kansas are both well known for large bucks being taken year after year. Although, overall Texas allows three antlered deer to be taken throughout, they have many counties that have limit restrictions that either limit bucks to a certain antler minimum or only allowing one buck to be taken. Kansas only allows one buck to be taken per hunter a year. Being from Oklahoma that seems harsh as I have always had the privilege of taking two bucks since I began hunting, but it is obviously working for Kansas. They are nationally known for the amount of quality trophy bucks that are taken there. Of course, there are a few factors that add to the quality trophy bucks in Kansas, but I believe some of it is related to the one buck limit. Would Oklahoma benefit from only allowing a hunter to take one buck a year regardless of the means of harvest?

My final idea is related to the dates of Oklahoma’s deer season. I believe they are all of adequate length and scheduled nicely according to the method taking, except modern firearm season. If Oklahoma wants to improve the quality and maturity of the bucks in the state the modern firearm season dates should be changed. Typically, the rifle season occurs right before or during the rut. Mature bucks do not become mature by lack of intelligence or instinct and most hunters know that is what makes harvesting a mature buck such a challenge. Most hunters have heard the saying “They didn’t get that big by being dumb” and it is true. During the rut, more mature bucks present themselves to potential shots by hunters than any other time of the year. While mature bucks present the occasional opportunity to the hunter, the younger bucks can be readily seen as a doe during this time. If the goal is to get Oklahoma’s buck population to reach maturity and increase the size of deer taken, then why are we allowed to hunt them with the best probable method when they are the easiest to be taken? In my personal opinion, modern firearm season should be moved to a later date, after the intensity of the rut has taken place.

In conclusion, there are many different approaches of how to improve the quality and maturity of Oklahoma’s buck population. Deciding what is the correct method to improve is a tough decision. Many of Oklahoma’s trophy caliber bucks are taken off of well managed areas or areas that aren’t frequently hunted due to inaccessibility. This shows with proper management, education and discipline of us hunters that mature trophy book quality deer are possible.

Last edited:

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but how many of you that are all for this are only gun/mL hunters. I would bet that most of you are in fact archery hunters also. If this were to take place it would not affect you as most of you would not be limited.
I say then take it a step farther and only one antlered buck irregardless of method taken.

In the end its everyones responsibilty to be stewards of the land. The nice 8point I took last year that is hanging on my wall was passed up by the neighbor to the west. I couldnt believe it I thought it was a nice deer. I bet he was pissed I didnt wait for something "bigger"

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Nice write up tslabaugh, you point out some good things. When I started hunting, in the late 70's, ML and gun season alternated every other year, in line ML's didn't exist, and the entire week before Thanksgiving was closed to all deer hunting, and very few doe days in any part of the state with a gun. So............they have made some changes over the 30 years I've been hunting them, hopefully they'll proceed with this one. Does anyone know how long Ks has been a one buck state?

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice write up tslabaugh, you point out some good things. When I started hunting, in the late 70's, ML and gun season alternated every other year, in line ML's didn't exist, and the entire week before Thanksgiving was closed to all deer hunting, and very few doe days in any part of the state with a gun. So............they have made some changes over the 30 years I've been hunting them, hopefully they'll proceed with this one. Does anyone know how long Ks has been a one buck state?

At least a decade I believe. There has been some changes to how many NR hunters they allow in that time frame as well. Wide open, to very strict, and then back to a pretty liberal number.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but how many of you that are all for this are only gun/mL hunters. I would bet that most of you are in fact archery hunters also. If this were to take place it would not affect you as most of you would not be limited.
I say then take it a step farther and only one antlered buck irregardless of method taken.

In the end its everyones responsibilty to be stewards of the land. The nice 8point I took last year that is hanging on my wall was passed up by the neighbor to the west. I couldnt believe it I thought it was a nice deer. I bet he was pissed I didnt wait for something "bigger"

I am an avid bow hunter most everyone knows that's. But i also lease out west which we just ML and gun hunt. This reg would put a big hitch in how we do things out west but I am still all for it. And your take it one step forward comment.... I've been screaming that for years and have said it on this thread
One buck limit period!!!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish the ODWC would allow the season total limit of does be taken with rifle in the holiday week hunt. This would allow hunters who are too serious for that 4.5-6.5 year old buck earlier to focus on getting rid of some does.
As far as the trophy buck focus driving up the price of leases, of course it will, its already happening as more and more Texans come up here for leases. Oil company execs/company men, lawyers, and doctors are leasing land at extraordinary prices. I would like to see enough funding for our wildlife department to start acquiring more public land whether its annual leasing or purchases. The NWTF, Ducks Unlimited, Quail Unlimited are big donors to public land and habitat enchancement. Its something some of ya might consider jumping on board with assisting. Public hunting land might be all some of us have one day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom