Open Carry situation in Colorado?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatcephus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last year I was riding ATVs up in the high country in Colorado and noticed a fella wearing his revolver openly. I talked to him for a little while but never bluntly asked him about it. I did decide he was in no way involved with LE.
So the Googletorium indicates that CO is an Open Carry State, except for Denver Township.
I have an OK Concealed Carry Permit, and CO is a Reciprocity state, so...when in Rome. Any advice on this topic before I go open heeled on my trail rides? Sure don't want to spend my trip in the slammer.
It's a good idea. I tried quickly getting to my pistola last year to see how long it would take me to unsnare it from my layers of clothes. I decided I would be Mountain Lion crap for sure.

Boatcephus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw that! But where we are going there are far more Mountain Lion attacks. My only pistols are a G17 and an old 1911. Last year I carried my 1911 and I got rained on each day, so this year I'm taking the Glock.

9x19 vs a Bear? Hmm, maybe if I shoot for the eyes.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw that! But where we are going there are far more Mountain Lion attacks. My only pistols are a G17 and an old 1911. Last year I carried my 1911 and I got rained on each day, so this year I'm taking the Glock.

9x19 vs a Bear? Hmm, maybe if I shoot for the eyes.

If you're a "perfect shot", you could pump 10 rounds into one of his paws so he can't chase as fast, then put the rest of the rounds into his eyes. lol.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you going hunting or just vacationing?
I left colorado 30+ years ago. but back then, you had to pass a test to hunt with a handgun and carry a permit issued by the wildlife dept.
I'm sure times have probably changed.

If you get surprised by a lion, that Glock may not have enough rounds.
Had one come around a bush when turkey hunting once.
We were face to face at under 10 feet.
I fired 5 rounds of 12 ga. and 6 rounds of 357 in about 2 seconds. and hit him in the foot once.
Scared the crap out of me.
Tracked him down and finished him off. Had him made into a rug. Still have it.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in Colorado last week. (Already miss the weather) I had read on one of the carry sites that Colorado did not allow CCW permits from other states. So I called up the State Police in Durango and had a chat with them. The first lady also said they didn't recognize OK's permit but did say I could open carry. At first I thought that would be pretty nice, but right off thought of all of the negatives to walking around a hippy town like Pagosa Springs with my HK on my hip. Plus the major reason was being with my wife's family and my son, I didn't want to distract anyone's time with a confrontation. I was vary happy to learn from the officer she transferred me to that it was a reciprocity state and he was nice enough to tell me the statute so I could print it up and keep it in my backpack with my handgun. I went from originally packing a .22 Walther to my .40.

We actually saw two brown bears so I had a little more peace of mind with the bigger gun.

OldCurlyWolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Per handgunlaw.us:

Colorado recognizes these states permits:
Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas Delaware Florida Georgia Idaho Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Michigan Mississippi Missouri Montana, Nebraska New Hampshire New Mexico North Carolina North Dakota Oklahoma Pennsylvania South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Wyoming
Colorado will only honor permits from residents of the states they honor. They will not honor out of state permits

Liv2Dive2

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a LEO, and as such I carry openly every day while on duty...however I prefer to not carry openly any other time...even when I'm hiking I carry concealed. Open carry comes with some significant negatives...any time you have a weapon on your hip in the open you need to be willing and able to defend that weapon, which means you need to be very alert and acutely aware of your surroundings, there are lots of 2 legged wolves out there, and if they think you're an easy target and they can get a free 2,3,4,5,6 or more hundred dollar gun from you don't think for a second they won't try.

Latest posts

Top Bottom