opinion. Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i have been considering a 308 rifle for a little while, and i the last time i looked, i was so sold on the new Mossberge 4X4 with the lba trigger; that if anyone was able to have gotten me a 308 with the laminated stock, well... i wouldn't be posting right now, because i would already have owned it.

not looking like this ones going to be easy to get your hands on either for a while, but it has me curious.

I forget what the barrel twist specs and suggestions for the different grain 308 round was, but i know the gunsite is a 1:10. but i know everyone said no shorter than a 20 inch barrel, but ruger is saying they are only losing about 160ft per sec muzzle velocity with the scout rifles 16.5 using hornady ammo. and considering the things not really intended to be a true long range sniper rifle, and the fact that i will rarely have an opportunity to shoot it outside 300-400 yards anyways, its barrel length is probably not an issue for me.

what does have me curious is its trigger. the LBA had me sold because i believe it was adjustable, and had a 1.5lb pull with that special safety blade in the trigger, and from what i read it seems to have no creep, and if its anything like savages trigger that looks similar, i think i will love the LBA mossberge... the true name of this gunsite ruger is an M77, so it makes me think it probably has the same trigger and action as the m77 hawkeye mkii, the LC6. i did a brief google on the LC6 and the things people are saying about it do not look very promising, and the fact that ruger in its ads and site, and the people demoing it on the videos, say absolutely nothing about the trigger, has me concerned. i find me self wondering, okay if i actually manage to get one of these, am i going to be hour another 100-150 or more on a trigger just to make it as good a shot as the LBA with my skill level?
but i must say i have never shot the LBA, i am just going by its specs. and i cant find any specs on the LC6... or at least i havent yet, and even if i did, i can only assume that its what is in this gunsite scout rifle, without contacting ruger to confirm.

I get that the true idea behind this gun, is to put a moderate or long eye relief scope in it and make it a scout rifle, hence the name. but if i bought one, i would immedialy have the XSSight scope rail that brings it back for a traditional cope to mount on this thing solidly. i might play around with the irons on this gun, but my intention is to bring a regular buckmaster back to set ontop of the ejection port like any other rifle.

my idea behind having a 308 with a buck master on it, using hornady ammo and a nice bipod, i should have no problems putting my groups consistanly inside the 3 inch ring at 300 yards. and if the trigger on the rifle is anything like the creep and inconsistancy on a dpms lpk ar15, i will be very very sad. but if the thing shoots like a accutrigger savage 17hmr, i will be in love.

what are your impressions with this gun?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've looked at one at the gun store in Enid, I think they still may have it. It looked pretty interesting. I have a .350 rem mag with the Mark II trigger, which is not that great and a .338RCM with the LC6 and it is useable but no first generation adjustable ruger trigger, but much better than the original Mark II ruger trigger though.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own a ruger gs and am pleased with it for the most part. The mags are expensive and hard to find, as well as a
Major pain to load after about the fourth or fifth round. The trigger pull is a
Little heavy for my liking haven't taken the time to adjust yet either. As far as mounting a regular scope on it where it's supposed to go , you'll have to get a set of taller ruger rings as the supplied ones wouldn't allow a zeiss 3-9-40 to clear the pic rail at the front of the recover so as for now immstillmshooting Ilene and toying with putting a Burris or leupold scout on it for now. If you were sold on a more traditional bolt gun then you might go that fought or look for a used ruger frontier same concept w/o pic railmormdetachable mag and sadly no flash suppressor. I saw a slickone at gene sears in el reno a while back. All in all a well rounded nice accurate rifle though hope this helps.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Everybody's eyes are different and with this I recommend one try a scout mounted scope or sight before buying one. I had an 2x Aimpoint on my M1A Scout. Great sight but I just could not get used to the 2x without closing my eye (which defeats the purpose). I know have an EOTech and have no need to close one eye when shooting. The M1A Scout is really easy to get quick follow up shots on target with the EOTech.

As to the Ruger GS Scout, IMHO the (removeable) flash hider looks really silly on a bolt gun.

o'doyle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was in a local gun store with a friend looking at one and he fell in love with it. He went back to buy it that afternoon and it was sold already. Apparently they are fairly hard to get a hold of..