Opinions on an overall camping knife...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 'Knives of Alaska' 2 knife set (Big Cleaver style knife and smaller skinner) - but for a campsite knife I'd like to have a good heavy-duty do it all knife.

So far, this is what I'm leaning towards:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B001IPILMA/ref=aw_d_crstars_sporting-goods

Any other knives that you guys know about?

I want one that can hack limbs, pry if need be, knock in tent stakes etc. but still carry a decent edge.

Opinions?

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at ESEE and some of the other Beckers, some Bark Rivers? I have the set of KOA knives and I like them. KOA makes some decent field knives if you like the D2 steel.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
looks like you want a big honking blade!

please consider an old USA made Cold Steel Trail Master with Carbon V blade. just so happens I've got a 80's Trail Master hiding somewhere that's available for sale

measures 9.5 inches ... here's more info http://blog.knifecenter.com/cold-steel-trail-master-9-12-sk-5-high-carbon-fixed-blade/

www.knifecenter.com_knifecenter_coldsteel_images_CS39L16CTblog.jpg

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're going to use it like an axe, you might just look at getting an axe or hatchet. No one knife will do everything you mentioned as good as the individual tools that are designed to do those jobs (hammer, axe, machete, large knife, small knife), and more importantly, most of the knives that will do all that won't work well for food and intricate cutting.

I have a machete that I take out some times and a camp-axe that I can use for serious chopping or hammering (back side). Outside of that, I'd look at an ESEE 3, 4 (if you really want a beast, get the 5) and just plan on taking a smaller pocket-sized slicer.

I end up using my Spyderco Delica or other smaller knives more than anything else when hiking/camping (cutting rope/para-cord, food-prep, intricate cutting of threads in clothing/packs, whittling sticks, bandages/mole-skin, opening packages for food/meds, digging out splinters, etc.) and use the larger knives for bigger jobs and/or self-defense should a wild animal or other threat make it past my side-arm.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look at Busse knives. This is pretty much what they are built for. I've owned several and can say they are tough and can hold an edge. Go to www.knifetests.com and you can see how tough they are.
They have a different way of selling though. They offer one or two knives at a time and take pre-orders before production. If you see a model you like, you can almost always find a brand new one on the secondary market.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at Busse knives. This is pretty much what they are built for. I've owned several and can say they are tough and can hold an edge. Go to www.knifetests.com and you can see how tough they are.
They have a different way of selling though. They offer one or two knives at a time and take pre-orders before production. If you see a model you like, you can almost always find a brand new one on the secondary market.

I would love to have one, but never seem to find them for sale. Sources?

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a KABAR/Becker BK2 Campanion and I love it. The blade is about the thickness of a machete and it takes and keeps an edge really well.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom