Opinions on blood tracking "lights"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe it is illegal to use dogs for blood trailing deer in Oklahoma......falls under the ban on "taking of deer with use of dogs" regulation.....at least that's how I have always understood the law.

You'd never know that round these parts. Quite common to see 10 guys standing down a loggin road with a couple of beagles running deer! Very interesting way to hunt, although not very advantageous.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe it is illegal to use dogs for blood trailing deer in Oklahoma......falls under the ban on "taking of deer with use of dogs" regulation.....at least that's how I have always understood the law.

Its also considered making every effort to prevent waton loss of wounded game...its hard to claim you are hunting if you are not carrying any weapons.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'd never know that round these parts. Quite common to see 10 guys standing down a loggin road with a couple of beagles running deer! Very interesting way to hunt, although not very advantageous.

Very illegal as well.

Some states allow the use of blood trailing dogs. Personally I would like to see it here.

Reaction score
If that's very common, then your warden down there must be paid off or inept.

If you're blood-trailing, and don't have a gun, I kinda doubt anyone's gonna care - the concern is that you'll say "no, I'm just trailing a wounded deer" when in reality you're hunting with the dogs.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Things are a little different down here. I'm not saying everyone does it or anything. But one of the deer camps I know, that's the only kind of deer huntin they have ever done for the last 50 years, and probably long before that. Runnin races is just a way of life. Few miles down the road in Arkansas it is legal. I have never known them to kill anything but does very very seldom do the get a buck, dog gets on a buck and he takes off straight for the river. Does just run in circles. Wardens seem to be tolerant of it, never seen or heard of anyone gettin a ticket for it.

Reaction score
I have never known them to kill anything but does

If that's a way to get rid of the damned does, then I may have to consider it! Kidding of course. All's I seem to get the last few years are little yearling bucks with spikes or little forkhorns that walk leisurely by, that I end up passing on (except for the one I didn't pass on, last Jan 15th, since I hadn't got a deer all year).

and r00s, Arkansas, as you know, is an *entire county* to the east of the easternmost point of Push county, so it's absurd for them to try to justify it since "my buddies / cousins down the road do it legally" - that ain't "a few miles" - even if that were a valid justification, that's an entire county plus some distance from your area, so it still wouldn't fly. At its narrowest point, LeFlore County is 27 and 1/4th mile wide.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and r00s, Arkansas, as you know, is an *entire county* to the east of the easternmost point of Push county, so it's absurd for them to try to justify it since "my buddies / cousins down the road do it legally" - that ain't "a few miles" - even if that were a valid justification, that's an entire county plus some distance from your area, so it still wouldn't fly. At its narrowest point, LeFlore County is 27 and 1/4th mile wide.

Hahaha, I understand that.... what I'm saying is the terrain is the same as over in Arkansas. That is the whole reason you hunt with dogs down here is because of the terrain. It wouldn't do you any good to go out to western Oklahoma and kick out a beagle. It is all about the terrain. I am by no means justifying it, I don't do it any more, mainly cause you rarely kill anything! But also cause I have too much to lose now. But there is certainly nothing wrong with it in my book... just the Oklahoma rule book. haha

Latest posts

Top Bottom