Opinions on blood tracking "lights"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I was at Wally world and see this "light" by Remington that shows to have a red LED for night vision and a combination of apparently blue/red LEDs that is supposed to illuminate blood in low light so you can track your deer.

Anybody use one of these things or similar devices? It was ~$15

Reaction score
I think they are gimmicks or borderline gimmicks, since I can see blood with a regular flashlight. I thought it was pretty funny that they were offering one of those blood-tracking for $50 (Gerber I think it was) - oh but wait, there's a POS folding saw in the package too, or some such! If it ain't a Surefire or similar, then you make-a me laugh, Gerber. Gerber is synonymous with Junk Gear, IMO.

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Gerber multi-tool that I've had for over a decade and use all the time. Well made little item, that one. That's the only Gerber anything I've ever owned, though.

-S

Reaction score
Well, Stingray, I think that like a LOT of brands, including them, Buck, Shrade, etc. -- their quality NOW bears no similarity at all to their quality in the past. 10 years can make all the difference, and I agree Gerber made good products back then, without a doubt. Funny how Imperial Shrade went out of business in 01 or 02, and yet somehow they're still selling new stuff. Point is, it's Chinese & Phillipine mass junk pushers that have taken over a lot of these brands in the last 10 years or so. I myself have an old Gerber multi-tool and like you, I think it's a fine piece of steel. So I'm limiting my comments to present day and last 2-4 years or so, depending on brand. A Gerber saw I bought broke in half the first time I used it in the field, and ANY knife maker who doesn't reveal the actual blade steel types used in each of their knives is hiding something *for a reason*. Gotta love those phrases like "surgical stainless steel" and "aircraft aluminum".

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure about the blood tracker lights, but I've had good luck with a surefire or 3 to 4 cell mag light. I've been told by older hunters that the old Coleman fuel lanterns make the blood stand out alot more than a standard light.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased the blue filter for my Surefire...Tried it on a blood trail and the blood was clearly more visible WITHOUT the filter. But the filter works great for dimming the light when I dont want it so bright.

Latest posts

Top Bottom