Opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good point on the ground blind shot between lung and spine, never really think about that not being a kill shot but your 100% correct, it misses everything.
I can't tell you how many reports I've heard of gun shots to that area that resulted in the animal dropping to the ground instantly, and while the hunters were high fiving, the animal got up and ran off like it was not hurt.
Anatomically there is nothing in there that can cause a fatal wound. What happens is that when the deer drops at the shot, the spinal cord has been shocked by the bullet passing through and causing basically a knock out.
When the animal recovers, it gets up and runs off.

the man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^This same thing happened with us. My son shot a nice buck in the same area on opening day of archery season 2014. It was a complete pass through and we found one tiny drop of blood. We looked for him for several days before giving up. He showed back up on camera in late December of that year with a clear hole just above the lungs. He lived throughout the year and my son ended up killing him the following year out of the same stand. They are tough animals.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This buck wasn't hit in no mans land.They got a good look at him while he stood for 5 minutes or so hit a little lower. Then half way down and arrow was buried up to fetching

Sounds like he was quartering to him a tad, if you aim behind the shoulder at even at that anglr you only get 1 lung.. the biggest mistake i see people make is aiming to far behind the shoulder. With a bow, I aim directly up the leg in the lower 2/3s of the deer.. that way if it jumps the string it center punches the lungs, if he doesnt move, the heart is toast.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like he was quartering to him a tad, if you aim behind the shoulder at even at that anglr you only get 1 lung.. the biggest mistake i see people make is aiming to far behind the shoulder. With a bow, I aim directly up the leg in the lower 2/3s of the deer.. that way if it jumps the string it center punches the lungs, if he doesnt move, the heart is toast.
I wait on that leg to move forward. shoot it where the leg used to be located.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not really a need for that, the scapula is high and forward, the triangle up from the elbow is the money spot.. i'm speaking from experience, mechanicals, fixed.. ive shot deer with both in this spot and they will die in seconds.
deer-hunting-aim-broadside.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really a need for that, the scapula is high and forward, the triangle up from the elbow is the money spot.. i'm speaking from experience, mechanicals, fixed.. ive shot deer with both in this spot and they will die in seconds. View attachment 107908

Oh, I've shot a few deer in my day. A lot with the bow. Deer die from loss of blood to the brain. The faster they bleed out, the quicker they fall. The few seconds that takes to happen, can mean many yards of travel for a deer in panic mode.
The reason I wait for the frontal leg forward is to not waste that meat or possibly hit a leg bone and possibly, depending on the angle, not have to shoot through the opposite leg.
It's basically personal preference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom