Optic for Barrett M82a1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread, just got my first M82A1, and everyone’s information was incredibly helpful! MR. HotRod, what kind of rings did you use, Barret?
Yes....I used the Barrett #13323 Rigid Scope Rings 30mm,1.3" high.........congrats on your new purchase....you'll love the M82a1

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My suggestion is Schmidt Bender, and if you shop around, you should be able to find a used one for under $2k. My second choice would be NightForce. I’ve only owned a couple, but the optics were good. They’re supposed to be a rugged scope that can take heavy recoil.
You should check Euro Optics, because they run specials and also have a used scope selection.
i concur, S&B is good ****. Snipershide is a good place to find good quality used gear. Do your homework to ensure you have a good experiance.

TulsaMike

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a m107 and ran nightforce atacr glass. You can usually find the atacr 4-16 under 2k, and I’ve seen the 5-25 for around 2100 if you’re patient and keep an eye out. Their mil-xt is a great Xmas tree style reticle that is less busy than a Horus or tremor, but they do offer both of those, just at a more premium price. I don’t particularly care for the razor stuff (I’ve owned a lot of them), but with the Barrett, it’s not like weight is really a concern, and they are definitely in your price point. You could also find the older razor gen 1 5-20 for 1200-1400, and while slightly dated, they had good glass and zero stop. Another one that isn’t bad is the leupold mark 5, and not only is it in your price point, but available with tremor and Horus reticles. You may also be able to find a used Kahles, USO or a number of different “good” glass that will work fine on your rifle.

For mount, the nightforce mag mounts are incredible, but a little bit pricier. A cheaper setup would be the American defense delta mounts, which are very strong and mid 200s for price. Can’t go wrong with either, and neither are going to have issues.

Outbacksteakhouse

New to the site!
Reaction score
Well, the issue scope for the M82 was the Leupold Mark4 4.5-14x. They're under $2k and you can still find them used. Just hunt around. Leupold doesn't make the Mark 4 series any longer except for Military contracts and special orders in quantity. I'd look at the Mark 4 replacement or similar (VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 Side Focus CDS-ZL Wind-Plex) . There are plenty of others that you can get from them that are under $2K and for that gun, a 5-25x would be ideal but anything 14x and over works well.

Second to that, I'd look at a Nightforce or even one of the Vortex Razor HDs (only the Razor HD); Meopta and Zeiss are good alternatives. Meopta is the LOW of the European scope market and makes scopes for a lot of folks.
Most other scopes are substandard. Just remember that in the scope world, you get what you pay for and putting a cheap optics on an $8k gun makes it as cheap as the optic. The exception to this is the S&B PMII...you couldn't pay me to take one of those.
Hello, sorry for a very late reply thread, but I’m looking for a clone correct scope ring set for the m82a1. I have a Leupold mk 4.5-14, but am unsure what scope rings were issued with the ones the military got their hands on. Could you point me in the right direction?

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome man Thank you so much!!
Np. Just remember that the Army used the Leupold 4.5-14x with those mounts (Issued with the gun) but the Marines used a Nightforce and so did the Navy (couple different ones) and they used a myriad of rings...ARMS #22, Leupolds, Badger, etc. JOS loaned guns had Swarovski fixed 10x with a ballistics Christmas tree to 2500m and the NFO, and had whatever rings...usually ARMS and Leupold.

Latest posts

Top Bottom