Optics for low light pest control.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Presently I have a Leupold 6-18x40 target scope mounted on my CZ 452 American rifle. I have been considering looking into something I could switch to when I wanted to do some pest control. Any ideas? Would swapping optics be to much of a hassle?
Ideas, recommendations?

Michael

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would guess on that rifle yes switching optics will be rough. Do you own anything with a rail like an AR or AK or similar? Something with one of those quick throw lever minutes

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I might be better off looking for another 22 for this peat control gun. It would still be a bolt gun as they are quieter. The question would still remain though. What optics for low light conditions?

Michael

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Have you taken your current scope out at night and looked through it?
Yes and it is better than your average scope but the target crosshairs are impossible to pick up. Also the magnification is much to high. Years ago I used a 1x Leupold for low light conditions. Might try finding one of those again if there is nothing better.

Michael

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quality glass with an exit pupil of around 7mm with a heavy cross hair is what you're looking for. If you're not familiar with this term, it's the objective size divided by the power. the pupil of the eye only opens to around 7mm or so in low light conditions, so anything smaller doesn't allow enough light to the eye to see the image and anything bigger really can't be seen anyway as the light won't pass the pupil. so your current setup has and exit pupil of 6.7 at 6x and 2.2 at 18x. you'll want to watch anything that induces any light into the scope as your pupil will shrink due to the extra light and make it harder to see. this is why I'm not a fan of lighted reticle scopes for low light hunting. good quality glass will allow better light transmission with less distortion. personally, I'd probably stick with what you have and consider adding a red lensed light to your setup. maybe even switch to a 2.5 or 4x scope.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here. Sometimes when I'm bored I will use my cheap laser pointer to pester cats across the road maybe thirty yards away. Is there something like that I could mount and sight in on my rifle? Or a different bolt rifle if need be? That pointer puts a perfect dot on them at that range.

Michael

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you just answered your own question. Fab a laser light mount for your gun and you're set.

Again, there is likely something readily available that could be mounted to a 1913 MIL STD rail, S&W M&P .22LR AR? Why are you set on using the CZ?

Latest posts

Top Bottom