.264 Win Mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know there has to be a few .264 fans on here and today at a pawn shop in Norman I spotted a beautiful Remington 700 in .264 with a fluted stainless barrel and synthetic stock. Possible custom shop gun, didn't have the guy get it out of the case but it looked super nice. Wanted $999 for it.

SPOONBILL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That cartridge is way overbore. Crappy barrel life. If you are hunting with it only along with an occasional range trip that wouldnt matter. Ammo is expensive. Do you reload? Its also a belted magnum (not a fan).
The pros are it will lay an animal down hard. Flat shooting. Remington 700 for 1000 bucks.
I think determining fa tor for me would be whats the twist rate and what could that rifle do for me that my others couldnt do.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That cartridge is way overbore. Crappy barrel life. If you are hunting with it only along with an occasional range trip that wouldnt matter. Ammo is expensive. Do you reload? Its also a belted magnum (not a fan).
The pros are it will lay an animal down hard. Flat shooting. Remington 700 for 1000 bucks.
I think determining fa tor for me would be whats the twist rate and what could that rifle do for me that my others couldnt do.
I shoot a '60s vintage 700 ADL in 7 mag so I don't need it either, but it's definitely a cool rifle that not a lot of people have.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the magazines, maybe shooting times? Published an article comparing the various old and new 26 caliber rounds. One takeaway from the article was that if the 7 mag hadn’t come around the .264 Win mag would not have gone underground as much as it did. My experience with the round is good and it will knock the spit out of any game animal in the USA at a long distance. But recoil is a bit harsh with some loads. It’s not really a target rifle but it can be; but barrel life could suffer after a couple of thousand rounds. As a hunting rifle, for most folks, a 20 round box of ammo would last for many years. So the average hunter that checks zero and shoots a round or two, maybe, each year may never challenge barrel life. There’s not many rifles better than an old Remington 700 so go for it.

Valhallajack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a long range shooter but this year with a .264 setup by another shooter. Sighted in to my satisfaction I dropped an elk with one shot the farthest I have ever shot an animal. Before going on the hunt I sold a 700 in 300 win mag I had purchased and setup for just such a hunt. Think I was shooting 117 grain Nosler ELD. Found the bullet on the far side just under the skin. Not saying it's for everyone but I was glad I took it on my hunt. Rounds are not super easy to find for a great price.

Clackamas Jack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of my Remington 700 CDL that's fluted in 264 Win Mag. Ammo is not the hardest to come by and reloading really up's the performance. Plus you can resize 7mm Rem Mag brass down to 264 Win Mag with ease. The poor barrel life in my opinion is a myth cause nobody ever complains about other other over-bore cartridges like many in the Weatherby lineup or Nosler. I think the rifle you are describing is a Remington 700 Sendero SS as they did make many chambered in 264 Win Mag. I attached a photo of the Sendero SS.

Attachments

• Remington-700-Sendero-264-Win-Mag-Special-SF-II_100870737_335_69A376CC5AAB9CFF.jpg
    Remington-700-Sendero-264-Win-Mag-Special-SF-II_100870737_335_69A376CC5AAB9CFF.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 0

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of my Remington 700 CDL that's fluted in 264 Win Mag. Ammo is not the hardest to come by and reloading really up's the performance. Plus you can resize 7mm Rem Mag brass down to 264 Win Mag with ease. The poor barrel life in my opinion is a myth cause nobody ever complains about other other over-bore cartridges like many in the Weatherby lineup or Nosler. I think the rifle you are describing is a Remington 700 Sendero SS as they did make many chambered in 264 Win Mag. I attached a photo of the Sendero SS.
Looks like it, had no idea they chambered the Sendero in it. First one I've seen. Thanks

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
264 WIn Mag is still my go to long range hunting rifle. I have a custom Mauser action rifle built in the 60's or 70's. It has a 26" heavy sporter weight barrel. It is not light to say the least. I'm not sure of the round count, but I've only ran about 40-50 rounds through it in the last 25 years. Recoil is comparable to other calibers shooting similar weight bullets in the 3200 fps range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom