Optics for these 10/22s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for optics for two 10/22s. Have always been an iron sight shooter but the eyes aren’t what they used to be and have been trying to educate myself on optics.

First is a stainless I’m doing upgrades on and plan to suppress. From what I’ve read here and on rimfirecentral I’m looking at the Mueller APV. Other options?

Second is the new 10/22 Takedown. Initially thought about a vortex or Primary Arms red dot but after a little research I’m considering a Nikon 4x32 (Nikon offering $50 rebate right now) or the compact Leapers Mini Bug Buster 3-9x32mm.
I know there are a lot of options out there. What do you guys recommend as a good fit for a rifle like this?

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leupold VX1 or Rifleman series is ok for the money. The Nikon stuff is the bare minimum of what I would consider a usable scope.

I've got a 3-9 vari-x Leupold on mine.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The Weaver V3 1-3x20 might be a good option for the Take Down. I would either be looking hard at that, or the Primary Arms Micro Dot or the Micro Reflex.

On the other, the Muellers are decent for the money. I have the APT on an AR. If you watch on Rimfirecentral, you can find the APV for sub $100.

The next step would be the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x or Weaver V16 4-16x

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Weaver V3 1-3 does look like a good option. I also got to thinking about the red dots again and looked into the idea of Tech Sights (which I have and like on my most used 10/22) co-witnessed with a micro dot. Also came across this rail that allows use of factory sights.

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For grins I stuck a cheap $20 ncstar compact 4x on my new takedown. I plan to go sight it in at 25yards and see how it does. I thought about the primary arms 1-4 and I still might get it but, I like the small compact scope. Of the ones you listed get the bug buster. For the money it's got good features.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep going back to the Weaver V3. Partly because of the versitility it can offer - It could also go on my AR or 44 mag lever. Now which rings?

So many choices.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the good companies make scopes specifically set up for .22LR ranges. Nikon even makes one with a .22 LR calibrated Bullet Drop Compensator.

Yet many people apparently never heard of parallax settings, and buy scopes set up for long-range shooting with a centerfire rifle. Such scopes set for 100+ yd parallax cause misses at the typical .22LR ranges (under 50yds) because the crosshairs move on the target when you move your head.

Unless you plan to do your .22LR shooting mostly beyond 100 yds, I'd get a quality scope specifically marked for .22LR shooting, which typically has the parallax set for 50yds.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a BSA Sweet 22 on both of mine. Plenty good for a 22. I can shoot one hole groups at 50 yards all day long. Put as many as you want inside a dime. Mine are 3-9x40 with illuminated reticles and adjustable objective. The bullet drop compensator turrets are cool too.They are a little over $150 IIRC.

Latest posts

Top Bottom