Optics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StammesOpfer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok again mine is gonna be a little different since its in mils but from bottom to top on the elevation it is 2 full turns. And its not mounted yet waiting on a lot of other hardware right now. I shoot at Tri-City off of Hwy 9.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I need to take a look at Tri-City, where is it located and can I get in to check it out or do I need a member with me? I was at OKC Gun Club a couple years but it got old with the shooting I do. Later,

Kirk

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to step on up to the NF or a FFP but with a max budget I set at $1300 it's gonna be difficult to get there.

$1300 will get you a used MOA/MOA NightForce if you watch out for the good deals and snap one up when you find it - hit up the hide's classified section and just sit and wait.

QTRMOA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the NF 5.5-22x50 R1 MOA/MOA. I am in the process of switching all my scopes over to the NF FF.
Let me know before you buy a scope and I might have one for sale that may fit your budget.

QTRMOA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the NF 5.5-22x50 MOA/MOA scope that I will be changing over to a NF FF in the near future.
Let me know before you buy a scope and I just may have one that will fit your budget.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man this is going to get interesting! the older fella's say a straight 10X with mil-dots, the newer crowd is saying 14X - 15X minimum for your max power and go with an MP8 type reticule but ya know I've not heard a soul say get a Leupold! all I have been reading is pretty much stick with IOR or Nightforce then you have those others that I could not even come close to affording! it looks like whatever I choose it's gonna work, there are all sorts of interesting little extras these days that make it that much easier but the one thing I have heard is whatever you get train with it until it's just habit and you'll be golden! which I kinda already knew that but it's good to hear from others. Funny how many things are out there that try to help you out but it all boils down to get back to basics. I guess it's true you can't purchase experience. Fella's thanks for the help and ideas you have gotten my mind going in a good direction, I'll let ya know what happens. Later,

Kirk

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man this is going to get interesting! the older fella's say a straight 10X with mil-dots, the newer crowd is saying 14X - 15X minimum for your max power and go with an MP8 type reticule but ya know I've not heard a soul say get a Leupold! all I have been reading is pretty much stick with IOR or Nightforce then you have those others that I could not even come close to affording! it looks like whatever I choose it's gonna work, there are all sorts of interesting little extras these days that make it that much easier but the one thing I have heard is whatever you get train with it until it's just habit and you'll be golden! which I kinda already knew that but it's good to hear from others. Funny how many things are out there that try to help you out but it all boils down to get back to basics. I guess it's true you can't purchase experience. Fella's thanks for the help and ideas you have gotten my mind going in a good direction, I'll let ya know what happens. Later,

Kirk

Trust me - if you're shooting at beyond 500yds, you want something with a greater than 10x power - I was shooting with 18 power at 600yds and barely able to see my hits on the target - the two guys shooting with me were just a hair ahead of me with their 22x Nightforce optics - none of us could see squat at that distance on 10x (especially if you're looking at a white piece of paper and a black dot in the center of it).

The ML8 vs. Dots - man I've got a mil-dot (enhanced) and a ML8-style with basically a ruler on it and hands down having the various sized lines to measure against is by far better than dots if you're doing any serious range-finding - especially considering that several different manufacturers "mil-dots" are different sized. If you're going to go shoot at Red Castle and will always know which range you're at, you don't even need it, but if you're hunting with it or doing any serious range-finding at unknown distances, you will appreciate all the extra measuring aids.

Leupold has a fairly limited selection of reticles when it comes to long-range and I just don't personally like any of their reticles very much - they make good optics (especially for the budget you're looking at), but again, if you really want to measure against something - this is all they have:

alib.store.yahoo.net_lib_opticsplanet_leopold_reticles.jpg

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in 2000-2001 I shot and shot a lot, ranging targets at unknowns but I was also popping man sized steel plates. I shot a straight 10X mil-dot and had no problem out to 1K but a head shot was 8"x8" if I recall correctly and the 10X was fine for this application, you didn't have to see your hits you could hear them. When I was a member at OKC Gun Club I could see hits on the 500 meter rams with 10X and the poor turkeys on the 400 meter line would have headaches. My only real reasoning for a varibale would be for punching paper and I know my 24X scope on my 223 you can't see holes in paper at 300 but those are little holes also.

I think I'm pretty set on the IOR scope 4-14x50 with the large elevation knob I just wish they were not illuminated I just can't figure that one out! I get 25 MOA of evelvation in one turn so I don't get lost when cranking up or down, the MP8 Dot is pretty much the same as a mil-dot with more accurate readability if that's a word? the reticule is narrow enough that I will like it, might be hard to find a target in low light but many years of shooting beavers at night w/o a light I can normally find center. This scope just looks to be my best bet and fits my budget plus I really like the 25 MOA adjustment knob! Later,

Kirk

fltmedic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stick with a Nightforce or look at a US Optic-I would stay away from a IOR personally they were having some quality control issues and having drastic turn around times for customers needing work done. Just letting you know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom