Outdoor Shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AT3

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am from Portland, OR. Many Okies might assume that means I am a tree hugger. Alas... I like to blow *&@! up. Right now I have a garage full of stuff I would in fact like to send massive amounts of lead at ludicrous speeds towards. I am assuming that places like H&H gun range won't like me set up a TV along the back side of their range and go to town.

I live in OKC and I would like to know where I can go like back home. I used to get in the truck,drive 30 minutes,and be in the middle of a rock quarry that was filled with cars, freezers, TVs, and thousands of destroyed clay pigeons. There were no range fees, no rules, only destruction. There was enough etiquette to know not to shoot while others were down range setting up targets. That was it. Thats what i am looking for. Land that I can shoot on with out a fee or the law getting mad. (because it's ok, not cause i won't get caught)

thank you in advance

OkieOFT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You would think that a place like Oklahoma would be loaded with places like that, but alas, any old rock quarry's I know of around me are filled to the brim with water, and all of the old "blow **** up" places are either subdivisions or horse farms now.

I do know of one place, but I doubt you want to travel to damn near the Arkansas state line.

AT3

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You would think that a place like Oklahoma would be loaded with places like that, but alas, any old rock quarry's I know of around me are filled to the brim with water, and all of the old "blow **** up" places are either subdivisions or horse farms now.

I do know of one place, but I doubt you want to travel to damn near the Arkansas state line.

I will travel up to two hours. I figure a truck full of stuff and a thousand rounds will last me at least that much. so It's worth the drive. If you can google earth the coordinates I would love to check it out.

shooterdc9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in OKC and I would like to know where I can go like back home. I used to get in the truck,drive 30 minutes,and be in the middle of a rock quarry that was filled with cars, freezers, TVs, and thousands of destroyed clay pigeons. There were no range fees, no rules, only destruction. There was enough etiquette to know not to shoot while others were down range setting up targets. That was it. Thats what i am looking for. Land that I can shoot on with out a fee or the law getting mad. (because it's ok, not cause i won't get caught)

thank you in advance

If you find something such as this let me know cause I'd be interested in that too. :bighug:

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am from Portland, OR. Many Okies might assume that means I am a tree hugger. Alas... I like to blow *&@! up. Right now I have a garage full of stuff I would in fact like to send massive amounts of lead at ludicrous speeds towards. I am assuming that places like H&H gun range won't like me set up a TV along the back side of their range and go to town.

thank you in advance

Thats why you can't find a place around OKC to do that. 20-30 years of slobs bringing junk out on private land and leaving a big mess for the property owner to clean up has gotten all the land posted "no trespassing". probably every monday morning the boss of the rock quarry would ***** and moan how he would like to catch the little so and so's that shot up the place and left a mess. He just never caught you.

OkieOFT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
According to Google Earth, it's at:
35° 2'46.74"N
94°40'42.02"W

Just west of Poteau, OK. It's on private land but the owner has no problem with folks coming out and shooting. This ain't a very big place, 50 yard shots is about all you can shoot. Just perfect for shootin' the sh*t outta stuff with my 1911. There is also a Forestry Service range in the area that is practically abandoned, there are some benches there, but make sure you have a tetanus shot before you sit down at one. I think it's about 100 yards and I highly doubt anyone would mind you shooting stuff up there so long as you clean up after yourself. I can't even find the place on Google Earth, but directions are availible here

If you do come shooting out here, PM me and i'll come with ya. All of these places are within 30 minutes of my house.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.

Souperphly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last time I went "out to the country" to go shooting I ended up with a misdemeanor reckless handling of a firearm charge (according to the Cleavland Co DA 3 houses all on 20+ acre lots = a residential area) That "cheap" range trip cost me $250 in fines/court costs, 3 day off work to settle it, an evening in the pokey, and $150 to a bondsman. I'll stick to the range, even gunworld is cheaper than that trainwreck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom