P22 test over time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had my Walther P22 now for close to a year and have 1,000's and 1,000's of rounds through it. At first, it would fail to feed every so often, although CCI Mini-Mags were it's preferred diet. Rem Golden Bulets were just okay. it doesn't like Winchester Hi velocity at all! I ran a whole brick of Federal bulk pack (550) through it a week ago and then a mini-brick (325) of Federal auto match on Sunday and had ZERO problems. That's over 800 consecutive rounds in a P22 .22 LR pistol without any FTF, FTE, or anything. Just went bang every time I pulled the trigger. This P22 gobbles that cheap Federal ammo up like my dog does jerky treats now. It is not as accurate as my Buckmark, I know that, but dang, it sure is a fun little pistol to take out to pop dirt clods and shoot those little rimfire spinning targets with! It's more accurate for me than a lot of posts lead one to believe; maybe I just got a good one, but whatever, it's wore in (broke in?) just right now and is at the top of my list as one of the most fun pistols for some plain old plinking! I like it! Once you learn the trick to reassembly, it's a 10 second job too.

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The one I've shot always runs like a champ and is amazingly accurate. I don't understand why so many people seem to have a problem with this little pistol.

-S

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't get the Walther bashing either. I bought one about 8 maybe 9 years ago and have somewhere around 5,000+ rounds through it.

I had some FTF/FTE during the break in period of about the first 400 rounds, but after that it's been perfect with Federal bulk ammo.

I love my Walther P22, it goes to the range with me every single time.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine has probably 8 or 9k through it, and it's still chuggin'. :)

The fixed barrel really helps the accuracy, but the sloppy slide mounted sights leave some room to improve... but, I always keep my 5" with the weight block on it that has the front sight solidly mounted, so it does alright for me.

Heck... I hit smoke and hope consistently in the mid-2 second range... with my fastest being 2.07 seconds... that's 4 16" targets and one 5" stop plate. :)

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad you guys got the good ones. Mine has been back to S&W once, replaced the recoil spring after that. The slide will not lock to the rear now without a magazine in it. It usually doesn't make it through a full magazine without malfunctioning.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one for my son about the first year they hit the market.

His liked copper clad bullets of any make except the Remingon thunder duds in the milk carton. That Walther seemed to work as well as any other brand new semi auto.... after a few bricks of ammo Brent's even worked well with hollow points.

I have acess to a newer P22... pretty much the same story. If I slowed down it would hold 3 or 4 inches at 25 yard over sand bags for me. The more I messed with it the better it got.

dammechanic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one, has about 1000 rounds through it the front sight fall off and the safety broke but other than that it still runs. I would not recommend the p22 unless it was at a very good price.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put almost 900 rounds of CCI mini-mags, Federal Auto Match and Federal Bulk Pack through my P22 today...had to q-tip the ramp, run a quick patch through the bore then squirt some Remoil on the rails two times...after about three hundred rounds each time. Had a couple bad rounds where the primer dented but failed to fire, but other than that; zero problems with this fine little plinker. It's not a target pistol, but it's quick to load, fun to shoot and I wore a bunch of darn old pop cans and ammo boxes out! I feel sorry for all the people who give this pistol a bad review; mine just gets better and better. Maybe I just got lucky?

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had the same problem with the Wichester Bulk ammo ..... The Federal also works just fine in my P22. Heck, I can even fire subsonics in it without an issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom