Pass.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome trip!
Especially with the bear prints. Reminds one that they are not on top of the food chain when bears are around.

Where were the Rainbows taken? When we were there this spring, the streams were flooded and muddy.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome trip!
Especially with the bear prints. Reminds one that they are not on top of the food chain when bears are around.

Where were the Rainbows taken? When we were there this spring, the streams were flooded and muddy.

Three browns and the rainbow were taken out of the Lake Fork of the Gunnison. I like to go in the winter after the streams have settled down. The best part is I'm the only fisherman!

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out my new watch!

IMG_0180.jpg

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Huevos for breakfast in red River at Yesterday's Diner.
Rio Grande west of Red River. My first time there. I caught about a dozen 12" 'bows. Beautiful river/canyon. This will warrant further investigation!
Red River city pond. This one and his slightly smaller brother went in the freezer.
More 'bows from the Red
IMG_2746.jpg
IMG_0182.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_2743.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Huevos for breakfast in red River at Yesterday's Diner.
Rio Grande west of Red River. My first time there. I caught about a dozen 12" 'bows. Beautiful river/canyon. This will warrant further investigation!
Red River city pond. This one and his slightly smaller brother went in the freezer.
More 'bows from the Red
Where did you get into the rio Grande at? We found the bridge that goes over it, but access down that canyon was hard to find.

There is supposed to be some area of the Red River below the hatchery that has thermal springs, so the fishing is open year around. I elk hunt that area, and if I tag out early, I was thinking of hitting some of those thermal pools.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where did you get into the rio Grande at? We found the bridge that goes over it, but access down that canyon was hard to find.

There is supposed to be some area of the Red River below the hatchery that has thermal springs, so the fishing is open year around. I elk hunt that area, and if I tag out early, I was thinking of hitting some of those thermal pools.

South of Taos on Highway 68, Highway 567 goes into the RG Canyon, parallels the river, crosses over, and ascends the canyon west toward US 285 so you can go to Colorado or to the spa at Ojo Caliente. The next access I know of is well down the river.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
South of Taos on Highway 68, Highway 567 goes into the RG Canyon, parallels the river, crosses over, and ascends the canyon west toward US 285 so you can go to Colorado or to the spa at Ojo Caliente. The next access I know of is well down the river.

We are looking for the thermal springs on the Red River(I think) The guides in Red River say everybody knows where they are at, but wouldn't tell us. The Red below the hatchery is lined with willows and narrow making for tough fly fishing, at least the fishing I'm used to, and access is really limited below that before it dumps into the rio grande.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I accessed the Jeff Dunn bridge between Questa and Taos. It's on the map. I didn't have much time, so I didn't hit it too hard. I went upstream of the bridge about a quarter of a mile and fished down to the bridge. Downstream of the bridge looked like Wal-Mart on food stamp day.

When you pass through Red River, stop in the Star and talk to Kai. He's a mountain hippie all the way, but he has game when it comes to fishing the area. He also guides.

Have fun and good luck chasing the elk with ThaEdge!

Latest posts

Top Bottom