Pawnee Winter Run N Gun - Get Ready!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dammit. This is going to cost me money. I'd been tickling the nutsack of the Garand idea before you went and threw the gauntlet down...(that or the M1A after watching a few of you kick ass with them in July).

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dammit. This is going to cost me money. I'd been tickling the nutsack of the Garand idea before you went and threw the gauntlet down...(that or the M1A after watching a few of you kick ass with them in July).

I love'em both, but the special competition is only for Garands.

If you're like me, you'll buy one, then decide you have to have the other one, too.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm definitely in for the Garand Challenge! I want that prize!

This evening after work all I have been doing is inventorying .30-06 and playing with sling and gear setups to try to see what works, lol! I think I found a pretty good setup, using a dump pouch on my right side behind my pistol holster to hold clips.

If anybody wants an M1 from the CMP (for pretty much half of gun show prices), come to an Appleseed weekend marksmanship clinic... we are CMP-affiliated so it will satisfy the training requirement... plus we will show you some marksmanship techniques that will help you get the most out of that old beast, and smoke the 500 yard stage at the Run 'n Gun. There is an Appleseed this weekend in Norman, and there will be one next month in Tulsa.

www.appleseedinfo.org

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Think you could get a Garand through CMP before the run'n'gun? CMP Games at OKCGC are in April, right?

Probably not in time for the January event...maybe for next summer though.

Service Grades are showing "2-6 Months from placing order".

(unless you want to drop a grand on a "special" grade. They are showing 30-60 days.)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New website under way - COF is done, and a new development over the weekend:

We will have a special category for the 10K Run N Gun. If you run/walk/shoot the 10K division with an M1 Garand, you'll be in the running for a special trophy. You'll still be in the regular scoring, yet also be eligible for the "Garand" trophy.

So far we have about 8 or so guys that have committed to the Garand run, so there ought to be some competition, as well as some interesting gear setups!

I've been told its all about the individual, yet there is scoring. Explain?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make the Rifleman's pilgrimage to to one of the CMP stores and pick yours off the rack yourself. It's the only way to fly!

As for the scoring, it's half run, half shooting. The attitude you take about the whole thing is up to you... but we who designed it intended it to be a way of putting a number on how effective you would be in a real world 2A situation, so there are no equipment or age classes or any of that BS.

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been told its all about the individual, yet there is scoring. Explain?

Run times, shoot times, and overall times.

Even an individual competition needs some metrics to track progress/performance (and some people like to see how they stacked up against other shooters/runners).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Run times, shoot times, and overall times.

Even an individual competition needs some metrics to track progress/performance (and some people like to see how they stacked up against other shooters/runners).

Which brings back my question does a 60 something score with a 20 something, or does a 60 something see how they stack up against others in their age group?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which brings back my question does a 60 something score with a 20 something, or does a 60 something see how they stack up against others in their age group?

Ages aren't even on the scorecard.
When you leave the start line, you'll have your time recorded.
At each stage, the RO will record your shoot time for each stage.
Your run score + your shoot score/2 = total score.

Yes, there are twentysomethings that will burn up the trail. There are also 3 gun guys that will burn up certain stages.
That's why we average everything out to the overall score.

I was introduced to this a few years ago in Pecos - my overall placement out of about 90 shooters was 23rd.
It gave me insight on my weak spots. The next year I placed 8th.

I'll never get a first place trophy, there are younger, faster guys running every year, and I just get older. But - it's always a learning experience, and a chance to hang out with some very cool folks. It gives me some motivation to get off the couch, and not get too fat and lazy.

All runners are scored the same, whether 16 or 76.

Latest posts

Top Bottom