Pentagon: 112 Missiles Fired at More Than 20 Targets Inside Libya

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/International...unch-assault-gadhafi-forces/story?id=13174246

More than 112 Tomahawk cruise missiles struck over 20 targets inside Libya today in the opening phase of an international military operation the Pentagon said was aimed at stopping attacks led by Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi and enforcing a U.N.-backed no-fly zone.

President Obama, speaking from Brazil shortly after he authorized the missile attacks, said they were part of a "limited military action" to protect the Libyan people.

"I want the American people to know that the use of force is not our first choice and it's not a choice I make lightly," Obama said. "But we cannot stand idly by when a tyrant tells his people that there will be no mercy."

The first air strikes, in what is being called Operation Odyssey Dawn, were launched from a mix of U.S. surface ships and one British submarine in the Mediterranean Sea at 2 p.m. ET, Vice Adm. William E. Gortney told reporters at a Pentagon briefing.

They targeted Libyan air defense missile sites, early warning radar and key communications facilities around Tripoli, Misratah, and Surt, but no areas east of that or near Benghazi. Because of darkness over Libya, Gortney said it was too early to determine the strikes' effectiveness.

Gortney said no U.S. troops were on the ground in Libya and that no U.S. aircraft participated in the initial attacks.

Libyan television reported that 48 people were killed and more than 150 wounded in the barrage, but there was no independent confirmation of the numbers.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is interesting in how indifferent he is until the UN decides to get involved.
Oh, by the way, in his senate career, he never voted anything but "present".
He is continuing that lack of leadership in his current job.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, it's only money! What's $62,590,000.00 between friends (or taxpayers)? :mad:

Guess Obama got tired of being irrelevant. Wag The Dog anyone??? :(

That will be the cheapest part of firing them....

As soon as it's over we will end up rebuilding the sites with newer/better technology...

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Operation Odyssey Dawn"

"Dawn with her rosy red fingers" is how the dawn is described in The Odyssey. Fitting for the operation I suppose, but I hope this isn't a further indication of the beginning of Obama's Odyssey.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Operation Odyssey Dawn"

"Dawn with her rosy red fingers" is how the dawn is described in The Odyssey. Fitting for the operation I suppose, but I hope this isn't a further indication of the beginning of Obama's Odyssey.

What's not to like on this post, a little poetry, a little history a little politics.
:clap3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom