Pheasant Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An report on pheasant hunting in Kansas. We went last weekend for the opening around Russell Kansas. Last year we had the best year we have ever had in twenty something years and this year we had the second worse season in number of birds taken.

The drought really took a toll.

Did not see a lot of hens which does not speak well of next year.

If your thinking of going up to Kansas this year you might think twice. Hopefully it will recover for next year but I have my doubts.

Sooner67

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We went last year out to Cedar Bluff and didnt do very well.Gonna pass this year, doubt much will change until they get some good rains in the next few years..

eaglerjs

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Myself, and eight others, went to "Show me birds" in Baxter Springs, Ks. on Wed 11/9/11. we had a great day. I would recomend it to everyone!!!!

GroupGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just canceled our trip to Guymon for opening weekend due to really poor bird count. Farmer who normally sees hundreds of birds while cutting his corn saw 3 hens and a "scraggly" rooster this year. I just hope the birds can recoup from a tough, dry summer, and a reduction of habitat. Not looking good.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm going deer hunting 2 miles south of Liberal this weekend. I'll give y'all a report when I return. I don't think it will be a good year for birds.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going to N. Central Kansas next weekend; for the record, bird populations where I've hunted since I was a kid have stunk for 20 years. Not sure if the farming methods have changed or what, but it has dropped off considerably since the mid-80s. I'm at the point now of letting any quail go, just to increase their odds of generating bigger coveys next year. Maybe I should leave the pheasant alone, too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom