Pickup pistol case

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Such a lock box is moot once someone breaks a window or in some other way gains access to the interior.

When I was working at a "major national electronics store," I had a young man come in looking at car alarms. He told me that he had just had a $2000 auto stereo system stolen from his vehicle. The alarm he was looking at required two elements, one of which was a magnet, and wanted to make sure they would fit between his door and the door frame of the vehicle. So, we took the alarm outside to his vehicle. It was a soft-top Suzuki Samurai. I told him that the alarm wouldn't help a lot because all anyone needed to get access was to have a pocket knife.

Just like breaking a lock or picking a lock renders a lock box moot.

My alarm is more useful than that, though, it is a pre-theft deterrent (flashing alarm light), it has audible and visual attention-grabbing alerts, it also sets off the paging remote on my keys in the house, as well as sending an alert through the cellular network to my cell phone, and I also get an email that my alarm has been triggered. It doesn't call the police for me, though - that would probably be over the top for a car alarm.

Include glass breakage sensors, hood and door pin sensors, battery voltage drop trigger, tilt sensor, shock sensor and a backup battery hidden internally in the cabin - it's pretty comprehensive.

Oh and the internal siren to cause actual physical pain inside the cabin while trying to disable any of the above-mentioned aspects.

But most car break-ins are smash-and-grabs. Over in 30 seconds or less. But I know of at least one foiled attempt when the car next to mine was broken into and things stolen, then when they tried mine, the alarm went off and they split - leaving behind bloodstained booty (think it was a camera in a camera case) they had stolen from other cars.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Hornady arm lock box. No longer sold for some odd reason. Has locks on three sides and a coke machine key. It’ll take more time to get into than most want to spend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to agree that a vast majority of "break-ins" are smash and grab. The kids nowadys aren't going through the trouble to rip out $2000 stereos by any stretch of the imagination. It's the woman that leaves her purse, the guy that leaves his briefcase, laptop, or whatever is in the console.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting one of those cabled bags for my vehicle. I run in a few places (my dr said if I don't lose 125 lbs I'll never make it to 30) - some of those places are in nice areas, but known spots for "smash and grab" scumbags. I figure a time-consuming deterrent will keep the most precious things safe. If they steal my cheap stereo and collection of Cardi B cds, I can replace them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom