Pigs, Gristle Plate (Shield), Arrow weight, etc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking a cut on impact, would be better than a chisel point.?

Dennis I dont really know on that part. I use G5 Montecs and with a resharpen be good to go again. I haven't shot a pig with a rage 3 blade expandable but deer experience (they are deadly) tells me they aren't durable. Examples: blades bent and twisted back against arrow shaft.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great video... those guys have bal1$ the size of those hogs getting that close with bows.

I've never been hog hunting, do you have to worry about those kind/size getting up in your business?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great video... those guys have bal1$ the size of those hogs getting that close with bows.

I've never been hog hunting, do you have to worry about those kind/size getting up in your business?

In that video that was shown. Those were domesticated hogs, somebodies retired breeder boars. I raised show pigs in high school and worked on a breeder operation during school breaks. Even show hogs can get after it like that. Its not something you want to get inbetween but they (domestics) could care less about you standing there when they are fighting. My guess is the two boars were released and a sow in heat was penned near by that they were fighting over. (Notice how killers were talking in normal voices within yards of the hogs) The hogs had the muscled up look of domestic pigs and certainly wouldnt suprise me if they didnt have tattoos in there ears.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfpzDYogmnM

Another video on the same topic. I can't remember if it was posted on another thread or just something I stumbled across, so you may have seen it already. There is a good autopsy at the end for you Dennis. This guy makes a compelling argument for his case, but I think there are so many variables that can come into play to make a definitive argument on one arrow or another. Just get out and shoot the dang things!

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In that video that was shown. Those were domesticated hogs, somebodies retired breeder boars. I raised show pigs in high school and worked on a breeder operation during school breaks. Even show hogs can get after it like that. Its not something you want to get inbetween but they (domestics) could care less about you standing there when they are fighting. My guess is the two boars were released and a sow in heat was penned near by that they were fighting over. (Notice how killers were talking in normal voices within yards of the hogs) The hogs had the muscled up look of domestic pigs and certainly wouldnt suprise me if they didnt have tattoos in there ears.

Exactly. There is no way those are wild hogs. Those are definitely domestic. No wild hog is going to let you talk and walk around like that. They are much spookier than deer in my experience.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfpzDYogmnM

Another video on the same topic. I can't remember if it was posted on another thread or just something I stumbled across, so you may have seen it already. There is a good autopsy at the end for you Dennis. This guy makes a compelling argument for his case, but I think there are so many variables that can come into play to make a definitive argument on one arrow or another. Just get out and shoot the dang things!

I watched the video, and pretty much agree with the guy. His opinion about heavier arrows, and kenetic energy is nothing different than using a .17hmr on an elk vs. a 30-06.

As we all know there are variables in hunting when shooting for shot placement, be it gun or bow.
The shots were through the scapula(high) as well as the plate. My shots for the pigs I took were when the leading leg was extended, eliminating the scapula, and resulting in a complete pass through. Same shot I attempt to use on deer, as it eliminates wasting one shoulder.
Unfortunatly for me, I don't have near the experience taking the nasty critters as you guys do with a bow.
From what I've seen and heard, that plate, is some pretty tough stuff, and I know for a fact it has stopped some .44 mag factory rounds. My buddy that was with us on the hunt, did not bow hunt, and used his pistol. He shot a meat hog, at 25 yds, knocking it down, and it got up and ran off without a blood trail.

Here is a fun video to watch about hogs. Its really short, so pay attention: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WwK_1SFE_8

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those were some big hogs! I wasn't too impressed with their shot placment though. When I went on our hog hunt with bows, the landowner shared a pic with us of the vitals of a hog, vs the vitals of a deer. Hogs vitals are further forward, and lower than a deer.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_hogfillet.jpg
I agree, their shot placement was pretty crappy.
crg1372---Video: I would bet money those are somebodies breeder boars that were released just prior to the video. Also those bows appear to be old technology that don't have near the energy that new bows have. Shot placement wasn't the best either, especially the one they showed that went right into the top of the shoulder.

Yeah those definitely weren't wild hogs. Like was stated before, if they were those guys never would have gotten that close. I posted the video because the guys weren't getting that good of penetration. Even with old technology I would've though they would have gotten better penetration that that seeing as how those hogs probably don't have the thick side plates wild hogs aquire from fighting all the time. Also, that shoulder shot was pretty terrible shot placement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom