Pima County GOP Fires Chairman for Criticizing Jose Guerena Raid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember that SWAT raid in Arizona that resulted in a SWAT team gunning down a former Marine? It seems the local Republican party doesn't appreciate any discussion on whether or not that was appropriate:
This press release from the Pima County GOP just showed up in my inbox:
The role of the Republican Party is clear: to elect candidates and support those candidates once elected. The recent statements and actions of Chairman Brian Miller have not served to further those goals, but rather the opposite. Mr. Miller’s statements regarding the SWAT raid have created serious problems for our elected officials, money raising efforts and have divided the Party. Mr. Miller was given repeated opportunities to either mend these fences or resign his position, and has chosen to do neither. Instead, he has continued to make controversial statements to the press.

As is the case with any organized governing body, no elected officer should be off in their own direction. This is especially important for the Chairman position. When the leader of an organization speaks for himself instead of the body that he was elected to, then division and chaos are the result. That is an unacceptable position for any organized body to be in and yet that is where the Pima GOP finds itself today.

Furthermore, in recent days serious questions have been raised as to the use of Party funds under Mr. Miller’s leadership. Mr. Miller has contracted for thousands of dollars of spending without proper Executive Committee oversight or approval which is in violation of the Committee bylaws.

In light of these concerns, the Pima GOP Executive Committee has chosen to strip Mr. Miller of his authority as Chairman. The Precinct Committeemen of Pima County have called a special meeting and we will be convening as soon as possible to vote on a bylaws change. If that passes the PCs will decide whether they wish to remove Mr. Miller from the board.

This is the first I’ve heard of the improper “use of Party funds” allegation. That it’s essentially an afterthought in this press release likely indicates the seriousness of the accusation.

Note the prioritization of principles on display, here. Miller has said the raid indicates that it’s time to have a public discussion about the use of SWAT teams, and has refused to back down from that. The press release doesn’t give reasons why Miller was wrong to say that. It doesn’t even say that he’s wrong. It doesn’t defend the widespread use of SWAT teams, or the tactics used in the Guerena raid. Instead, it states that the Republican Party’s primary principle is electing and supporting Republicans, all else be damned. And Miller’s comments are apparently hurting that cause.

Put another way, speaking up for a veteran who was gunned down in his own home while defending his family from what he thought were armed intruders is apparently an act that Republican Party voters find repulsive. Which I think tells us all we need to know about the Republican Party. [emphasis mine]

Pima County GOP website here.
http://www.theagitator.com/2011/07/...miller-for-criticizing-the-jose-guerena-raid/

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My favorite part:

Mr. Miller’s statements regarding the SWAT raid have created serious problems for our elected officials, money raising efforts and have divided the Party.

Don't want anything to get in the way of that money.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I guess what I hear ONE democrat/republican say his/her opinion is, means it's true for all democrats/republicans. Good to know.

To suggest that one person's statement is representative of the group is unreasonable, as you suggest. To suggest that the official actions of the executive committee are representative of the group is quite reasonable.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To suggest that one person's statement is representative of the group is unreasonable, as you suggest. To suggest that the official actions of the executive committee are representative of the group is quite reasonable.

That just shows that the committee is corrupt, as we already knew most politicians are. They can say whatever they want, but it still does not stand true for the ENTIRE party. That would be like saying WBC's views are the same as all baptists. It sure does not help the IMAGE of the party however.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That just shows that the committee is corrupt, as we already knew most politicians are. They can say whatever they want, but it still does not stand true for the ENTIRE party. That would be like saying WBC's views are the same as all baptists. It sure does not help the IMAGE of the party however.

Not at all. It would be like saying the Phelps' actions are representative of all of WBC. It may or may not reflect poorly on Christians.

Latest posts

Top Bottom