Please opine. 10/22 TALO VII Exclusive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recently purchased this from a forum member. Very nice gun. It has a Ruger after market all metal trigger group and extended mag release. Also has a Ruger logo on the fore arm. Which seems to be unusual. Its not a collector item or rare gun but the gloss finish
is bothering me. It has an 'orange peel' finish that one would think Ruger would not be real proud of. So I'm thinking about a gentle
sanding smooth and finish it in a Satin. Pics are intended to show the orange peel.
Would this devalue the gun?
Would you change it?

Attachments

• IMG_7588.jpeg
    IMG_7588.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7594.jpeg
    IMG_7594.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7595.jpeg
    IMG_7595.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7593.jpeg
    IMG_7593.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recently purchased this from a forum member. Very nice gun. It has a Ruger after market all metal trigger group and extended mag release. Also has a Ruger logo on the fore arm. Which seems to be unusual. Its not a collector item or rare gun but the gloss finish
is bothering me. It has an 'orange peel' finish that one would think Ruger would not be real proud of. So I'm thinking about a gentle
sanding smooth and finish it in a Satin. Pics are intended to show the orange peel.
Would this devalue the gun?
Would you change it?
So that is where it went …..I’d leave it alone myself but I was gonna buy that baby then it was poof

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am like you I guess. I am not a fan of the high gloss finish or the orange peel look. I think a satin finish would look much nicer, but I would be very careful around the checkering as mentioned by Parks 788. In the end it is your rifle, do what pleases you.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would change it. It's an expensive piece of wood, Don't do it yourself unless you're skilled at this, send it to someone and have an oiled finish put on. But there is something you could try, called rottenstone, find it at good paint stores, comes as a powder and you mix it, it's like rubbing compound, it will knock the gloss off. But if you think it looks good now, let a pro strip it, maybe see if they could cut some checkering, and put oil on, complete total knock out. That is a one of a kind rifle, don't be afraid to spend some money on it.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't sand - use strippers. Not the kind pictured below. Use the chemical approach with a medium toothbrush to work in and around checkering. If you sand you can't add back what you took off. Finish may be to your liking but the fit and detail will diminish. The chemical approach is better.

Attachments

• stripper silhouette.jpg
    stripper silhouette.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom