Political Correctness! WOW this is a great leader right here!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
◀▶

found this interesting. As a military veteran I was in a combat arms position. While I think that gay thing would have affected me at the time, now days I am a different person and it wouldnt affect me one bit. With that said, it doesnt mean I support what BHO passed. However this former Navy Leader in my opinion speaks for us all!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/sep/18/lehman-rocks-navy-complaints-about-political-corre/

The Navy’s former top civilian has rocked the service in a military journal article by accusing officials of sinking the storied naval air branch into a sea of political correctness.

Former Navy Secretary John Lehman, himself a former carrier-based aviator, wrote that the swagger and daring of yesterday’s culture has given way to a focus on integrating women and, this year, gays.

Pilots constantly worry about anonymous complaints about salty language, while squadron commanders are awash in bureaucratic requirements for reports and statistics, he added.

“Those attributes of naval aviators — willingness to take intelligent calculated risk, self-confidence, even a certain swagger — that are invaluable in wartime are the very ones that make them particularly vulnerable in today’s zero-tolerance Navy,” said Mr. Lehman, who led the Navy in the Reagan administration.

“The political correctness thought police, like Inspector Javert in ‘Les Miserables,’ are out to get them and are relentless.”

Navy pilots have complained privately for years that a post-Tailhook Convention push to clean up conduct by aviators went too far.

The 1991 Las Vegas convention has stood as a black mark for the Navy because some naval aviators engaged in lewd escapades and excessive drinking.

An ensuing Pentagon investigation ballooned into one of the government’s most extensive probes, as scores of officers were targeted and had their careers shortened. Feminists used the scandal to demand a change in Navy culture.

Now, Mr. Lehman, a New York investor who served as a bombardier navigator in A-6 Intruders, has aired in public what active-duty pilots dare not say.

His lengthy article adorns the home page of the magazine Proceedings, a forum for active-duty and retired personnel on naval issues. Proceedings is published by the U.S. Naval Institute, an independent association located at the Naval Academy in Annapolis.

“Once standards of common sense were ignored in favor of political correctness, there were no limits to the spread of its domination,” Mr. Lehman wrote.

“Not only have alcohol infractions anonymously reported on the hot line become career-enders, but suspicions of sexual harassment, homophobia, telling of risque jokes, and speech likely to offend favored groups all find their way into fitness reports.

“And if actual hot-line investigations are then launched, that is usually the end of a career, regardless of the outcome. There is now zero tolerance for any missteps in these areas.”

The Lehman broadside coincides with the celebrations this year at military bases across the country of the 100th anniversary of naval aviation.

That celebration, too, got caught up this year in charges of political correctness. The foundation in charge of anniversary events posted a history online that emphasized women and minority advancement in naval air.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This isn't just the case for aviation officers, it's the case for every officer and enlisted man in the Navy. In 6 years in, the biggest thing I learned about peer to peer interaction is it's just easiest to keep your mouth shut, and then you're gonna get psych-evaled or blackballed for being non-cooperative or the like.

I am not a sexist, but I chose the Submarine force so I wouldn't have to worry if I let slip a bad comment. That's going away now too, regardless of all the people who think it will stay the old way.

I served with several gay guys, and had one in my division no less. Of the two that I remember, I respected the living hell out of the one I worked with. He was super smart, did more work than his own, and didn't do anything god-awful bad that the rest of us didn't do either. The other was a complete POS, and we finally got him kicked out of subs to the surface fleet.

When I was a farm kid, I probably wouldn't have uttered what I'm about to say, but you change your viewpoints as you go along in life, or you go under. No one's any different than the next person, regardless of sex, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any of that crap that makes the PC police so powerful. As far as I'm concerned, if you pull your weight, do it right, and do a good job of it, you have my respect. If you don't, or you want to set around pulling an aforementioned card to get the easy way out, you're dead to me and don't expect a penny out of me, or a penny's worth of labor from me. You can complain to my backside as I walk away from you.

The PC crap has taken away so many things in the military it's unreal, and I can only wait until the first thing someone says is "Those were stupid outdated traditions anyway". The people I find that say that stuff are the people that didn't make it and got excluded from it. It's bad enough that honoring your fallen is an outdated concept in more than a few peoples eyes in this country.

I will kindly step off my soapbox now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom