Poll about allowing suppressors for hunting purposes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allow suppressors in Oklahoma for hunting purposes

• Yes allow suppressors for hunting purposes

Votes: 254 84.1%
  • No don't allow suppressors for hunting purposes

Votes: 48 15.9%

• Total voters

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess you could use it. I am not a duck hunter either but wouldn't think buckshot would be a very good choice for waterfowl. The dead coyote is T shot unless they have one I don't know about. Interesting points you bring up about some of our laws though.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here is a NO vote. Humans are, already, supposed to be the smartest critters in the woods. And, there are other ways to protect your hearing. If you need multipal shots, spend the $200 tax on ammo and practice.

brennan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To bad they don't make suppressors for shotguns since that would probably be the main hunting gun where a person would take multiple shots.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Coyotes are protected as I mentioned before by State Statute Title 29 2-116 under definition as "game mammal". Yes they are commonly sought after by sportsman. You may have heard of predator/fur calling being a sport.
2. Other restrictions do apply to hunting coyotes:A) Title 29 4-112 requires a hunting license.
B) Title 800 25-7-3(b) restricts shotgun use to BB or smaller except when hunting crane or waterfowl.
So back to the definition of "game mammal" they are protected by the wildlife code.
3. "Varmints" is not a recognized classification of any wildlife in the State of Oklahoma Title 29 Article II Words and Phrases. Also T29 2-111 does not include Coyote as a fur-bearer. T29 2-132 defines them as "predatory mammal"

4. A good example of an animal not protected by the wildlife code would be an armadillo.

any questions?

Well - you're right in that I overlooked the other two restrictions on coyotes, but to be fair, there are restrictions on Hogs too for that matter.

I actually had to look those titles up as I only had the OK hunting guide to go with before (that's where I found coyotes in the furbearers section and thought that's what they were).

So I guess my question to you is - are Hogs considered game mammals since they are sought for sport? If a child under the age of 9 years old does not have his/her hunter safety education card, can they hunt hogs (this is actually a two-part question I guess - are they game animals and are they "big game")?

What if someone starts an armadillo hat-making club - then do armadillo become game animals - or do hunting restrictions have to apply first?

Again - with that vague definition of game animals, pretty much anything can be "sought after" by sportsman and become considered game right?

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like them to be legal. I would get my R-15 barrel threaded so I could put one on it for coyotes, hogs, deer, dogs, bobcats, ect. Ear protection and for the cool factor. Yeah thats right i said it, the cool factor. So what?

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To bad they don't make suppressors for shotguns since that would probably be the main hunting gun where a person would take multiple shots.

I have seen it, of sorts. I read an article a few years back in Predator Masters that had a guy shooting crows with a 12gauge. The kicker was his barrel was something like 8ft long! Quiet enough to hunt in suburbia but still a 12. No idea how it works but they claimed it was the greatest.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2007/12/18/quiet-shotgun/

Latest posts

Top Bottom