Poll about allowing suppressors for hunting purposes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allow suppressors in Oklahoma for hunting purposes

• Yes allow suppressors for hunting purposes

Votes: 254 84.1%
  • No don't allow suppressors for hunting purposes

Votes: 48 15.9%

• Total voters

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your thinking and logic is incorrect. Squirrels and Coyotes are both "Game Animals". Title 29 2-116 "Game Mammal" is any mammalian species normally sought after by sportsman and protected by this code, or any part of such animal.

That's generalized enough to cover any mammal that ever lived. What then, is the difference between a game and non-game mammal?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's generalized enough to cover any mammal that ever lived. What then, is the difference between a game and non-game mammal?
There is an actual season on squirrel. There are certain restrictions on yotes. I'm not aware of any on the porkies. Now it could be that yotes and porks have the same restrictions. I haven't read the regs in awhile.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is an actual season on squirrel. There are certain restrictions on yotes. I'm not aware of any on the porkies. Now it could be that yotes and porks have the same restrictions. I haven't read the regs in awhile.

Yeah, I guess I haven't hunted tree-rats in so long that I didn't even know that there was a season - but Coyotes, I didn't see anything in the regs other than "Fur bearers" being the category.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
any animal protected by the wildlife code and commonly sought after by sportsman is a game animal. Coyotes are protected too they do have a season and it is year-round.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
any animal protected by the wildlife code and commonly sought after by sportsman is a game animal. Coyotes are protected too they do have a season and it is year-round.

How are Coyotes protected? The only restriction is shooting at night with the aid of night-vision or spotlight.

And I don't know of any instance where they are sought after by sportsman (other than to eliminate or fur-seekers but that's 99% trappers and not hunters).

Where did you get this definition? I'm not saying you're wrong, but this kind of logic can be taken too far and cover all animals ever.

I'd classify Coyotes as varmints well before I'd classify them as a game animal - same with prarie dogs and hogs from what I can find in the regs.

Actually, I'd classify a Hog as much more sought after by sportsman than Coyotes - and I've spoken to several game wardens who have stated that Hogs are non-game mammals for the purpose of a 9 year old (or younger) with no hunter's safety education card (needed to know back before my youngest got his card).

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How are Coyotes protected? The only restriction is shooting at night with the aid of night-vision or spotlight.

And I don't know of any instance where they are sought after by sportsman (other than to eliminate or fur-seekers but that's 99% trappers and not hunters).

Where did you get this definition? I'm not saying you're wrong, but this kind of logic can be taken too far and cover all animals ever.

I'd classify Coyotes as varmints well before I'd classify them as a game animal - same with prarie dogs and hogs from what I can find in the regs.

Actually, I'd classify a Hog as much more sought after by sportsman than Coyotes - and I've spoken to several game wardens who have stated that Hogs are non-game mammals for the purpose of a 9 year old (or younger) with no hunter's safety education card (needed to know back before my youngest got his card).

1. Coyotes are protected as I mentioned before by State Statute Title 29 2-116 under definition as "game mammal". Yes they are commonly sought after by sportsman. You may have heard of predator/fur calling being a sport.
2. Other restrictions do apply to hunting coyotes:A) Title 29 4-112 requires a hunting license.
B) Title 800 25-7-3(b) restricts shotgun use to BB or smaller except when hunting crane or waterfowl.
So back to the definition of "game mammal" they are protected by the wildlife code.
3. "Varmints" is not a recognized classification of any wildlife in the State of Oklahoma Title 29 Article II Words and Phrases. Also T29 2-111 does not include Coyote as a fur-bearer. T29 2-132 defines them as "predatory mammal"

4. A good example of an animal not protected by the wildlife code would be an armadillo.

any questions?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
B) Title 800 25-7-3(b) restricts shotgun use to BB or smaller except when hunting crane or waterfowl.

any questions?

Just one. I don't duck hunt.
The reg that states shotgun use to BB or smaller except when hunting crane or waterfowl leaves me with a question. Can one use 00buck when hunting crane or waterfowl?
I know its a stupid question, but it falls in the same category as the restriction for .22 magazines where only a 5 round is allowed, but my Ar with a .243WSSM can use a 100 round drum mag during deer season, being completely legal. I'm just asking:D

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jared are you a warden? If so what would be your take if you caught someone in the woods with a suppressed rifle and they tell you they are hunting armadillos? And do you have a list of animals that are not protected by the wildlife department.
Dennis I think the glitch in your question is waterfowl must be hunted with non toxic shot. I'm sure there is buckshot that is non toxic but I have never seen any.

Scott

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom