Poser? Not a Poser?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poser? Not a Poser?

• Poser

Votes: 76 95.0%
  • Not a Poser

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Too Hard on the guy

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The thing that always sets off the alarm bells for me is the "talking about it" so freely.

I have had the honor of meeting and knowing men who have not only "been there" but "been so far past there you can't imagine it". Men from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. Without exception, they were rather humble about what they did, and you would never have known it unless they knew you and wanted to share with you.

Once you have "been there, done that", at least in my experience, there is no need to broadcast those facts to random people.

Dave

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing that always sets off the alarm bells for me is the "talking about it" so freely.

I have had the honor of meeting and knowing men who have not only "been there" but "been so far past there you can't imagine it". Men from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. Without exception, they were rather humble about what they did, and you would never have known it unless they knew you and wanted to share with you.

Once you have "been there, done that", at least in my experience, there is no need to broadcast those facts to random people.

Dave

This. I have had the honor of being befriended by a couple of Marines and a few guys from Navy and two in the Army as well. The Navy guys never saw anything and they'll tell you that. The guys in the Army have yet to go anywhere, and the two who were in the Marines were in Fallujah, when Fallujah was all over the news. The Marines wont talk about anything unless they want to, even if asked they belittle everything to end the conversation quickly. They both have been Well Past "Been there done that" and brought back embedded shrapnel to prove it.

The fact that the guy claims to be quite an accomplished warrior and is working as a waiter would have been enough for me to start asking some real pointed questions right then and there and put him on the spot. Anyone who really accomplished those feats is no stranger to being under pressure and would have the answers quickly anyway. Likely they'd tell you to go get f*cked anyway where someone who hadn't attained the claimed titles would feel the need to continue to try and convince you they had. To add to the assessment of the situation, if the guy was still young, people who are so accomplished in the military are in shape, I mean REALLY in shape.

All things considered the guy is 110% full of it. I'm surprised it wasn't falling out of his mouth as he spoke he's so full. I might make it a point to go eat there again and make an example of him publicly. I know I may sound like I am pretty comfortable up here on my high horse but if there is one thing that absolutely makes me want to punch you in the mouth its claiming you are an accomplished serviceman(or woman) when ya aint!

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a poser to me. But heck, we all do at least a little bit of posing at one time or another. He sounds like he'd be fun to have a couple of beers with. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom