Potatoes Are In

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother and I planted two 250 foot rows of potatoes this afternoon. One row is red potatoes, and the other is Yukon Gold. According to the "projection" we found, those two rows should produce 1500 pounds... I am not that optimistic, but even half that will be ALOT of potatoes.
image_zpsffd51aea.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice looking rows! Do you use a Hiller attachment on a tractor?

I had to quit planting taters. Dammed gophers would go right down the row, and eat the bottom out of them.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice looking rows! Do you use a Hiller attachment on a tractor?

I tilled yesterday and once more this morning before church, and it took my brother, a friend, and I about an hour this afternoon to actually plant and cover the potatoes.

Dennis, we didn't use a "hiller" to plant, but we are going to try to use one to cultivate/hill in a few weeks. A friend of my brothers is going to let me borrow his hiller, and I will probably buy one if it works out well. I can see where it would be handy to use on other crops too.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My garden is laid out in 80 ft rows.

Last year I planted one of my potato rows by plowing up a furrow with a middle buster set as low as it would go, and after throwing in all the cut pieces of spuds, immediately covering them with the hiller set up pretty high. This placed the pieces at approximately 16" in the ground.

They come up just fine and made a pretty good crop.

No hilling what soever and when it came time to harvest, back to the middle buster set as low as it would go and it brought up all the spuds to the surface for easy harvesting.

This is my prefered method from now on.

My grown sons like to make fun of me for planting all the pieces cut side down, but they sure don't mind showing up when its harvest time !.....

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Free Trapper I know people the same way, they don't want to help when the work is to be done. They sure do want the invite come time to reap what I sew.

My Grandfather always had a huge garden when I was a kid, and he had trouble giving vegetables away. He would plant, care for, and pick, but he couldn't even get folks to come out and pick it up. Now, if he would take it to them…..

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same thing trying to give away fish or trapped hogs.

Me: "Hey, you want some ________ (fish/hogs/deer/ducks/ whatever)?"
Friend: "Have they been cleaned?"
Me: "If I was gonna clean them, I would keep them."
Friend: "No, I don't want any."

Latest posts

Top Bottom