Powers out again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okie Dokie, Mr. electrical company spokesman.

Maybe you would like to address the points in the O.P.

I am not here to start a debate over who's fault it is, or this or that, I am just here once again saying that i fail to see why in this day in age, why we cannot simply have a reliable and guarantee electrical infrastructure. I say this is cow crap! The winds not blowing, it's not raining, no ice, no lightening; I see no factors that give any reason why the power should have gone down. And you cannot tell me there at not enough people Aka customers out here to pay and rationalize a reliable power system. It's not even peak hours.

Powers been out for almost 2 hours now, by estimation; we have already had time to go outside and trim up our storm damages tree in time, and now that the chores are done, all I can do is wait and notice how quickly any room with a window begins to heat up just because there is no fans to circulate the air.

We had already been seriously discussing a whole house backup generator run on natural gas. But with these outages becoming more frequent and the system becoming less and less reliable, It's a sure thing.

What boggles me is just how much we all rely on something that is not guaranteed. I have never herd of a requient or promis. In fact I am sure the power could go out anywhere and there be not obligation to how timely a manner it is reatored. And all the while our fridges and freezers temp rises, the house gets hot, our securitysystems are on backup or off, and all of our creature comforts are gone. With the only rationality that it will return being that the company wants us using the energy and paying for it as badly as we want it.

Whatever caused this aside, I am greatful for and respect the people working probably at this moment to fix the problem, I am sure they are hard working well trained individuals.

I just wish the infrastructure was more reliable.

1. Contact the Oklahoma Corporation Commission. It's called the 'corporation commission' because they work for the corporations.

2. Take your business to another provider.

3. Be your own power company. Solar cells, diesel generators or whatever it takes to be self sufficient.

I guess I will be the Huckleberry then....

While in this day and age one person might assume that an Electrical grid would be 100% reliable, you cant account for animals, people, weather and an occassional OK redneck.

Animals get into sub stations and get onto transformers and fault out the substation causing it to lock open until the issue is resolved.

Animals get onto distribution line transformers and do the same thing, once again until someone can come out and clear the issue power stays off.

Sometimes an idiot drives off of the road and hits a pole (distribution or transmission) and faults the system out. Once again you are off until someone can come out and repair the damage.

Sometimes a person digs in their yard and or with heavy equipment and either hits a feeder line from a substation or a primary line in a neighborhood and cuts that line, once again you are off until someone can come out and make the repairs.

Sometimes, just sometimes mother nature wants to play and while it is not raining there are rogue lightning strikes that can strike up to 5-10 miles away from the actual storm and hit the system or surrounding items causing issues.

1.) Now on the OCC side, they are in now way out for the Utility companies in OK. Want to see a fair Corp Comm, then go to AR and see how their Corp Comm operates, they are neight for the utility nor the customer. Both have a defined set of rules to operate by, dont play by the rules then either side has to pay the consequences.

2.) In the State of OK you cant take your business to another provider very easily up to the point of it being almost impossible. I have only heard of one case where we even agreed to grant the customer the option to leave and the other utilities did not want to put the money out to service the customers property.

3.) Best option out there, think you are a better engineer than who we employ and can do a better job of powering your home yourself then go for it. By the time you buy everything you need and getting started up you will more than likely never be able to recoup your costs in this lifetime, much less be able to efficiently generate enough power for your demands and reliably be able to keep it generating all of the time.

Did that work well enough for you???

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Atleast ol betsy still works, no safety and plenty of ammo!
Get some candles, matches, and a 6500 watt generator or bigger.
Come on, what happened to adapt, improvise, overcome?
Don't get use to relying on "the man", because he will let you down!

Latest posts

Top Bottom