Our Power Pole at the Hwy - Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! Lots of great info. WIthout walking the 400' to the front of the property, I believe the Pole just inside out property has a transformer on it. I believe I'm correct on this as I remember looking at the pole and it has a bit of a lean to it due to weight of the tranformer at the very top. Seems the least expensive route to go would be to trench the 400' from the house panel and hope to not hit any buried lines to the house.

I knew yall had great advice and what I'm gathering is that solar may be my easiest and cheapest route for lights on the columns. Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the quick responses.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should call 811 to get the lines marked, but if you're on well and septic, that'll basically just got your underground electric line, phone/cable lines, and natural gas lines marked (and maybe lines that cross your property in easements under the surface). It'll be up to you to avoid your water line, septic lines, sprinkler lines, etc.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call before you dig or your expense could triple
Yeah, don't be like the jake-legged peckerwood next to my place who managed to cut my phone line three (3!) times while bulldozing his access road. Stupid SOB did it the third time by jabbing a realtor's sign through the brand new STILL UN-BURIED cable.

What a maroon...

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, don't be like the jake-legged peckerwood next to my place who managed to cut my phone line three (3!) times while bulldozing his access road. Stupid SOB did it the third time by jabbing a realtor's sign through the brand new STILL UN-BURIED cable.

What a maroon...
I was helping a friend remodel his business and cut through a phone line that was an inch thick. That was an expensive cut. 😳

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All great advice above. OP just has to make a plan for solar, or power from the pole. We have three meters. One is the transformer that feeds our water well 3/10 mile away, another for the home and another for the barn. Both the barn and well meters rarely go over the minimum which as has been mentioned $35 a month.
So, lets calculate. $31 X 12 months = $372 a year for that service. If one goes solar, batteries, inverter, low voltage lights, etc. Battery replacement every year or two. It could be a tad cheaper to go with solar up front, but I'd pay for the transformer and meter personally and be done with it. Inexpensive lighting fixtures much brighter than those available for solar and so on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom