predator callin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

220swift

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
im not impressed with wildlife regs on calling predators during abig game overlap . i think we should be able to shoot centerfire rifles at least22 cal or smaller when calling coyotes or any predators .at least a 55gr bullet or smaller weights . we are getting started callin out here already getting cooler good coats on coyotes this year. what do all my fellow callers think/

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think he is talking about the fact that you can not call predators during any rifle deer season without having a deer tag. This reg had driven me to Kansas one year to call because I had already tagged out on deer in Oklahoma and could not legally call predators here. I wish it were not so also. Seems a bit over the top..from the old days when the deer herd needed protecting.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. The regs have always been centered around protecting the deer herd it seems. Don't even get me started on the night hunting, and illegal buckshot regs.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think as long as you have a filled or unfilled deer tag your fine. Thats what the hog regs say. I would say it goes for yotes as well.

Resident & Nonresident License Requirements: No hunting license required. All persons pursuing hogs during youth deer gun, bear muzzleloader (in open counties), deer muzzleloader, deer gun, holiday antlerless deer gun (in open zones), elk gun (in open counties) and antelope gun (in open areas) seasons with a shotgun and rifled slug, or any rifle or handgun larger than .22 caliber rimfire, must possess a filled or unfilled license appropriate for the current season, unless otherwise exempt.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think he is talking about the fact that you can not call predators during any rifle deer season without having a deer tag. This reg had driven me to Kansas one year to call because I had already tagged out on deer in Oklahoma and could not legally call predators here. I wish it were not so also. Seems a bit over the top..from the old days when the deer herd needed protecting.

Where does it say this?

ETA: Are you just talking about public land and/or not having a Lifetime Hunting License? I've looked everywhere and only found that in the Public Land section towards the end.

ETA ii: Missed ya at the Heartland Shoot Sunday night. It was pretty fun!

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this it? I think it says clearly "while hunting deer" so predator hunting should be fine.
Firearms Restriction: No person may carry or use any firearm in conjunction with archery equipment during the archery season while hunting deer, except under provisions of the Oklahoma Self Defense Act.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing I have seen is it being restricted on public land. I don't hunt on public land and I have a lifetime hunting license so I've never even thought about it.

I read through the regs pretty good yesterday and couldn't find it specifically except the public lands. I would like someone to quote the reg in question.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now after reading this, I'm a little confused....

As for hog hunting on public land, if I posses a hunting license and a filled/unfilled tag, am I restricted to hunting hogs with the weapon of the season? Meaning, if its only bow season, am I allowed to hog hunt with a rifle or not?

Latest posts

Top Bottom