Preferred 40 cal ammo....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayBo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I am gonna go fetch a Glock 27 tomorrow and would like opinions on preferred all-around ammo. This will be my first 40, but i expect choices would be made same as other ammo,,I would appreciate hearing them tho,,,Thanks,,,,Jay

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I am gonna go fetch a Glock 27 tomorrow and would like opinions on preferred all-around ammo. This will be my first 40, but i expect choices would be made same as other ammo,,I would appreciate hearing them tho,,,Thanks,,,,Jay

The G27 will eat about anything you feed it. Do you reload? If so, just keep in mind the issue with "Glocked" brass in the .40. They run smooth but they mangle the brass unless you run an aftermarket barrel such as a Lone Wolf.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The G27 will eat about anything you feed it. Do you reload? If so, just keep in mind the issue with "Glocked" brass in the .40. They run smooth but they mangle the brass unless you run an aftermarket barrel such as a Lone Wolf.

though I have never experianced the above reloading .40, I would bet a full length sizing die takes that right out.

Far as the OP, if you are looking for sd ammo, heck it is all good, but I like ranger and I like golddots in 9 & .45, would probably like it in .40 but have never shot it.

everyday shootin' ammo, well I reload so my reloads work real well, but off the shelf ammo, it will shoot whatever from steel case russian to wwb. Your gun will shoot it all. I shoot a g22 and have owned a 23, I think I have read that the heavier 180gr have less snap in recoil in the subcompact g27.

JayBo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Guys,,,This info is what I was after. I have read so much on different ammo, Just wanted experience for advice. I have been plinking with blazer (aluminum case) in my kahr pm 9 and have not had a problem.I suppose if I notice a problem,,,it would be too late,,:) I will plink with cheaper ammo, and get the gold-dots or such for SD carry, in my soon to be Gen 4 Glock 27, I will sure keep in mind the 180 gr being more manageable...Thanks men...much appreciated...jay

austin.brown

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I use federal, or tula or winchester FMJ for plinking and keep the expensive stuff for carry.

My smarta$$ answer would be what ever I can get my hands on right now. I got lucky enough last night to hit up WalMart while they were stocking the ammo case and got 3 WWBs.

Other than that I pretty much agree with AKguy1985.

Winchester Rangers and in my pistol right now.

JayBo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep,,,I do now have the G-27 now and no ammo...:) Things will settle down someday,,I hope. I will put on my scout hat and find a few, maybe...Got a line on some reloads,,,Time will tell,,,Gotta find something to make pard want real bad,,,,,,Thanks...jay