Preppers and fitness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, Reddog's EMP thread had me thinking. Everyone is so concerned about their vehicles getting fried. If a nasty EMP happens the vast majority of folks are gonna be without vehicles. Is this safe to assume?

So the next fastest and convenient form of transpo may be bicycle.
The thing is, riding a bicycle at a moderate pace, long distance or with a load in tow ain't easy for the average joe.

For those of you that prep, who keeps their fitness level at a high level?
Does it matter to you?

DrBaker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do weight training and cardio regularly. I lift an average of 3 times per week and try to run at least 3 times per week too.

I consider fitness to be very important. Hopefully I don't get hit by a bus. All this hard work would be for nothing.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a eotw situation I think things could eventually revert to the basics....survival of the fittest. Now, "fit" can refer to your weapon cache, food storage, etc.....but, you can't beat muscle and stamina. First off it enables you to work more efficiently under stress, prevents injury when physical work is needed for whatever tasks might come up...ie: chopping wood, hiking, carrying stuff....there's really no downside!

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the little exposure I've had to the world of prepping it seems to me that physical fitness is the one thing most preppers don't account for.
Doesn't make sense to me. Along with the investment of all those preps, it would seem an investment in some fitness would be very wise, the more the better IMHO. I'm not talking about just lifting, strength training is great but if your heart and lungs aren't just as "buff" then just moving real estate at the weight room won't do as much good for you in the big picture.
Personally, I wouldn't want to go into a SHTF situation out of shape.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the little exposure I've had to the world of prepping it seems to me that physical fitness is the one thing most preppers don't account for.
Doesn't make sense to me. Along with the investment of all those preps, it would seem an investment in some fitness would be very wise, the more the better IMHO. I'm not talking about just lifting, strength training is great but if your heart and lungs aren't just as "buff" then just moving real estate at the weight room won't do as much good for you in the big picture.
Personally, I wouldn't want to go into a SHTF situation out of shape.

I think similarly as you. When I see these people preparing on TV and such, most of them are obese. Which may be part of their prep, I don't know. Should you ever have to maneuver or just walk a long distance, I think it would be a huge detriment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom