Preppers and fitness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember that thread. It was mostly about your alarming sense of compassion and my 55 gallon drum of Del Monte Kechup.
Believe me, you'll be the first to get eated when the time comes.

You must have me confused with someone else. I'm not on the FGST. I'll be the hunter, not the hunted.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I'm gonna put on my fitness advocate hat and say..FWIW, if you decide to make the investment in fitness, even if the S never does HTF, it will improve your quality of life and its a prep that will truly never go to waste.
:)

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know I'm not in the shape I used to be; but I still train on a regular basis. At 47 I'm need to concentrate more on my heart,lungs and legs.
I am doing the run n gun coming up in July. Not to compete, just to test myself and get in better running shape. It should be alot of fun! Plus motivation to drop some more weight.

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in shape round is a shape right? :D

I normally try to run 4-5 times a week 2-3 miles but dead week and finals week killed that oh well. Now to start again in the morning or maybe it was the morning after that I was going to start again. No pretty girls around to impress so no need to look to good :D

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never wasted money on a gym membership or make any effort to "workout". Between my regular job, in which I fast walk 12-15 miles in a 12 shift and my ranch / farm duties, I just don't have the time or the inclination to exercise. As far as transportation go, I have 9 horses and 5 donkeys. In a SHTF scenario or even a long term lay-off / unemployment, I may not be rich, but I will be eating T-bone and rib eyes with plenty of fresh vegs.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First rule of Zombieland: Cardio

THIS^^^^
Exactly why I promote Appleseed - learn to shoot from field positions. Run N Gun - so you can shoot - are you going to be effective sitting in your recliner with 120,000 rounds next to your 12 pack?
The Finns were able to fight the Russians for several reasons, not the least of which was their physical fitness and ability to manuever in the terrain. (snow, the native populace was used to being on skis)

I run a few times a week, mostly trail running. I try to run with my shooting gear once a week. As soon as my shoulder heals, I'll be hitting some weights. The P90X Plyo workout is good when I can't get out.

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not talking about just lifting, strength training is great but if your heart and lungs aren't just as "buff" then just moving real estate at the weight room won't do as much good for you in the big picture.
Personally, I wouldn't want to go into a SHTF situation out of shape.

The heart is a muscle. Heavy resistance training, ie strength training is known to increase muscle mass even in the heart.

Lungs can't be buff. They aren't muscle. While resistance training uses ATP for energy it also can create oxygen deficits during high reps which helps the body adapt to low oxygen levels. Long slow distance exercise like jogging uses oxidation for energy and helps the body adapt to more efficient use of oxygen.

The best training for cardio-respiratory fitness is strength training. Just because the fitness industry tied the word cardio to bikes and treadmills doesn't make it true. It's like all the bs about "core" training. Sheeple like buzz words.

Latest posts

Top Bottom