Prepping is a Waste of Time and Money: Prove Me Wrong

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The air hose is one issue, the other is that I can not bend over without it screwing with my breathing. I still want to rototill up a bigger spot and try doing all I can but may have to settle for the containers I have. Worked good for green beans and tomatoes in a fall crop but was to hot for a summer crop. That and the aphids were a real problem on my squashes.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Near 5 years later and look at the world today. Wonder if the OP still stands by that statement ?
🤣 .
Not once in all this time have I needed an mre or bug out bag or dipped into my ammo for survival purposes etc...so yea...I still stand by my statement, genius.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well praise the load….. lived off the land for 2 years in the early 90s as the court had me paying for the family, I felt like a millionaire when I was awarded all 3. Everything worked out for everyone eventually.

It would give you a much different prospective, although some wouldn’t have bothered.🙏

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me this isn’t some all consuming lifestyle and as I said earlier, I’m not a prepper but I do want to be prepared for an unscheduled natural disaster. I have car insurance I pay twice a year and hope I never have to use it, I have homeowners insurance I pay once a year and again hope I never have to use it so why not stash some food, water, meds etc… to ride through a few months of oh crap? I go through my stores the first of every year and rotate out and eat anything getting a little old and replace it with fresh goodies. Only difference between car/home insurance is my “disaster insurance” isn’t money pissed down the toilet every year but actually gets used and not waisted.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not once in all this time have I needed an mre or bug out bag or dipped into my ammo for survival purposes etc...so yea...I still stand by my statement, genius.
One time I got in a fight with my wife and slept in the basement with my bugout bag and got drunk and ate the MREs

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep 2007 December ice storm for us, no electric for 4 days. Trees down everywhere.

I found out how worthless a fireplace is unless your sitting in front of it, in fact my white gas Coleman lantern put out some decent heat.

I took care of that issue for $200. When my furnace went out several years latter. I ran off a ventless heater for 2 months and never went more than half way up.

I heard it took out about 1000 telephone poles and some didn’t have it for a month. Lucky Tulsa and Claremore had electric, we stayed to guard the house.

We had a lot of trees to clear from the road (neighbors). We heard of instances where people were stealing generators in the middle of the night.

On a side note one guy said I didn’t know we still had hot water🤷 That can be your friend.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me this isn’t some all consuming lifestyle and as I said earlier, I’m not a prepper but I do want to be prepared for an unscheduled natural disaster. I have car insurance I pay twice a year and hope I never have to use it, I have homeowners insurance I pay once a year and again hope I never have to use it so why not stash some food, water, meds etc… to ride through a few months of oh crap? I go through my stores the first of every year and rotate out and eat anything getting a little old and replace it with fresh goodies. Only difference between car/home insurance is my “disaster insurance” isn’t money pissed down the toilet every year but actually gets used and not waisted.
I’m like you in that prepping isn’t an all consuming lifestyle, but whether you want to admit it or not by your own post, you ARE a prepper. :anyone:

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m like you in that prepping isn’t an all consuming lifestyle, but whether you want to admit it or not by your own post, you ARE a prepper. :anyone:
Then maybe there are two (or more) different types of “preppers”. I’m not worried about any zombie apocalypse, I don’t have a bunker in my back yard and the thought of the fall of our government and an economic collapse never cross my mind. I don’t have an “escape plan” nor a secondary location established in the boonies. I also am NOT a member of any prepping community, online forum or subscribe to any prepping magazines. When someone talks about being a “prepper” this is the image that comes to my mind. Also when you look in my closet you won’t find a single camouflage jacket, shirt or pants. All that just ain’t my thing.

Last edited:

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then maybe there are two (or more) different types of “peppers”. I’m not worried about any zombie apocalypse, I don’t have a bunker in my back yard and the thought of the fall of our government and an economic collapse never cross my mind. I don’t have an “escape plan” nor a secondary location established in the boonies. I also am NOT a member of any prepping community, online forum or subscribe to any prepping magazines. When someone talks about being a “prepper” this is the image that comes to my mind. Also when you look in my closet you won’t find a single camouflage jacket, shirt or pants. All that just ain’t my thing.
- If you buy ingredients for a birthday cake, Anniversary celebration, or special dinner days ahead of actually using those ingredients, then you are a 'prepper'. You simply bought and stored things for a future event, and that is what a 'prepper' does.
- Most 'preppers' do not prep for an Zombie Apocalypes , EMP/s, Nuclear War, Government or financial collapse, or Asteroids hitting the Earth. What they do prepare for are things like severe weather events, power outages, local civil disturbances, Earthquakes, tornadoes, or floods.
- Scripted reality shows like Extreme Prepper are for entertainment and as such sought out the most outrageous idiots they could find to portray unrealistic prepping or prepping plans. Most preppers do not stock 5-years worth of food, 100K rounds of ammunition for each of their 50+ firearms, have 5-acre off-grid self-survival homesteads, nor Million $ bunkers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom