Prey - Predator prequel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was good but I hate when they go against a established timeline. Supposedly, Prey is the first Predator hunt on Earth. Whaaaaaat? What happened to the Alien pyramid in Antarctica where the Predators hunted Aliens, thousands of years ago.
I had forgotten about that . . . would've been nice to have spun that into this story at the beginning.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So the Predator series is based on military or able bodied males using all sorts of fun weapons to fight the predators and getting their ass kicked. Tiny Indian female somehow does it with an axe and a string?
Wasn't the lead in the arctic pyramid movie a female?

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From yours truly on MovieChat.org:

This is a C&P of a post I made on Facebook a while back and it still reflects what I see as a major issue in Hollywood: virtue-signaling.

I don't see virtue-signaling in quite the same way that many do, it seems. Some seem to see it, if I am not mistaken, in terms of reflecting current social trends, and I see it as being sanctimonious, proclaiming a virtue that is not really there.

In my writing, I give female and minority characters a prominent place, but it is also one that accurately portrays the times and culture in which the story takes place. If I were writing about 9th century Vikings, I see no reason to include Black characters, for example, and if the story concerns a little boy from the 1950s, it will have methods of child-rearing appropriate to that era.

In my story, The Pale Horse, set in a post-apocalyptic USA in the early 21st century, I have both Black and Jewish heroes, villains, and victims. One of the main good guys is a Hispanic cop. Another is a young guy who is disabled, with everything that that entails. Even though he has been dead for more than a century, the main villain is a German, whose poisonous ideology still infects many today. No; it's not Hitler, it is Karl Marx.

And females are given a prominent place as well, as good guys, bad guys, and victims. The USAF security forces is the prominent unit of the US military surviving in the novel and females serve admirably in that group. Two of the primary scoundrels are women, one of them a German terrorist, and the other is a Marxist fanatic, the partner of the main bad guy.

Is this virtue signaling on my part? Hardly The target audience for my book, that is the group it is most likely to appeal to, is conservative men. If I were to introduce the previously-mentioned Blacks in a story of 9th century Vikings and tell how the best warrior that they had was a female, how the men respected her prowess as a fighter, and how this was very common, all in an attempt to appeal to minorities and modern females, THAT would be virtue signaling.

My argument is not with stories reflecting us as we are, it is with the sometimes twisted means of signaling virtues that are not really there in the first place just to generate admiration that is not deserved.

Granted, I haven't seen Prey, but from what I have read about it, it sounds like a prime example of Hollywood vitrue-signaling.

Great post. Heros in proper context is good writing. What hollywood and many modern writers do today is ridiculous and ruins any good that might have been in their work.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
What would those be?
The clothing and the weapons used primarily. Putting atlatl sized dart tips on arrows, the "tomahawks" are a friggin joke (they never made them like the movie depicts). I realize that they consulted with Native American groups when they made this film, but that only helped with the Hollywood. The accuracy is still way off. They should have hired better (if they had any at all) archaeological consultants. It's also why I can't stand watching "Dances with Wolves".

My wife refuses to watch westerns or movies like this with me for a reason.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom