Primer Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I accidently installed a primer upside down. I really don't want to throw the brass away as it's Laupa and it cost $90 per 100. How can I get the primer out of the brass?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just decap it normally being very careful and go gently. It might not go off at all since the anvil isn't up against the primer pocket.

ETA: Eye protection! Just in case...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. I've had to do this before. Just go slow and you'll be fine. If you're worried about it, hit the cup with a shot of WD-40 and let it soak for a few minutes before decapping.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just decap it normally being very careful and go gently. It might not go off at all since the anvil isn't up against the primer pocket.

ETA: Eye protection! Just in case...

Yep. I've had to do this before. Just go slow and you'll be fine. If you're worried about it, hit the cup with a shot of WD-40 and let it soak for a few minutes before decapping.

Thanks guys...I will try it and see what happens. Of course I'll probably look like I'm getting ready to play football with the safety stuff I'll be wearing...but better safe than sorry!

Glock to go...if I remember correctly, you can probably answer a question I posted in the general discussion labeled "Need LEO Advice". Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like was said. WD 40, or a drop of other oil and let sit. Decap as you would a spent primer. Make sure your powder containers are closed. Eye protection is a good recommendation anytime you are dealing with the live primers.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I've always tried to just push them out slowly before trying to soak them. I've never yet had one pop on me, just went smooth and slow. Just for kicks, I've also usually loaded them in rounds, and gone right out and shot them. So far, they've also always fired.

If you think about it, it takes a strong swift strike to pop a primer. Be careful, and go slow, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom