Probably Been Asked Before, but...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
64 gr Win SP

That bullet performs way beyond what you would believe. I have loaded that bullet exclusively and 17 deer have fallen to it. All 1 shot. The farthest any went was 40 yards. Majority 20 or less.
I agree. Unless you just want to load for it, I’d try factory Winchester 64 gr Power Point ammo in it. Both my boys killed deer and pigs with that ammo out of a NEF single shot 223 when they were starting out.

I’ll be honest and say I’m a little surprised you hit a deer with a Mini 14, because every one I’ve had has only shot minute of barn. :anyone:

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
64 gr Win SP

That bullet performs way beyond what you would believe. I have loaded that bullet exclusively and 17 deer have fallen to it. All 1 shot. The farthest any went was 40 yards. Majority 20 or less.
Absolutely. If I am deer hunting with a 223, this is the bullet I’m using. Too many positive experiences with it to consider anything else.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. Unless you just want to load for it, I’d try factory Winchester 64 gr Power Point ammo in it. Both my boys killed deer and pigs with that ammo out of a NEF single shot 223 when they were starting out.

I’ll be honest and say I’m a little surprised you hit a deer with a Mini 14, because every one I’ve had has only shot minute of barn. :anyone:
Yes, it's not terribly accurate, the deer was so close there were powder burns around the entrance hole.

Actually it's a newer series gun and is quite accurate. I will load for it, sounds like I need some 64s!

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've killed all my deer since it was legal to use here in Oklahoma with the 223 with the exception of 1 doe. I started out using brown bear steel cased 62gr sp, when I couldn't get those anymore I went looking for an acceptable replacement. A local guy I knew was killing deer with 55gr vmax without issues & so have I.

Here's my caveat - it's obviously not ideal for deer you already know that & people flame me for using those however I've never lost or had to track a deer yet. I take high shoulder shots typically or right behind the shoulder when I miss. I have put them in the lungs with great results.

I'm a coyote hunter who deer hunts not the other way around. I get lot's of practice, that helps. I also don't & won't take a shot over 150 yards on deer with these & most are 50 yardsish

I hear the Hornady 55gr sp is a fantastic , obviously the 60+ grain loads would be better but my son in law has switched to using the 223 now and uses Winchester 55gr sp without fail and has killed a few nice big bucks including a big heavy 13 point & it to was a bang flop.

Lastly the nosler ballistic tip is better than the VMAX for deer but I can't find them in loaded ammo in stock. I'll stick with the vmax until I find a reason to change . Here's last year's buck, 60 yards 223 55gr VMAX drt 1 shot

Attachments

• Attachment.JPG
    Attachment.JPG
    816.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom