Probably Been Asked Before, but...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know why it’s not accurate? What about the design? Is it the bolt?

Having avoided them like the plague, I'm going to regurgitate the generalized complaints of owners...so please take this as only an educated opinion:

Thin barrels that had more pressure applied at the gas block than other designs (eg. ARs). Add a wood or plastic stock that isn't precisely fitted, and you have multiple contact points that really screw with the harmonics of any barrel - let alone a pencil barrel...especially a wood stock that expands and contracts with the environment.

I *heard* the older barrels were button rifled poorly, and had a lot of stress relief that caused POI shift once they heated up. I guess their CHF process helped alleviate some of the problem, and this is why they are regarded as 2-4 MOA rifles now as opposed to minute of pie plate. Again, I have no experience here.

Top it off with crappy iron sights and a trigger that wasn't great (I have fired a couple rounds through one), and you have a recipe for disappointment if you are expecting long range varmint accuracy.

But the rifles weren't designed for that purpose though.

Just my .02.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I killed a deer with my Mini-14 Sunday. First time I've deer hunted with it, and I decided I like it a lot.

I was shooting a 55 gr SP from Hornady, nothing special.

Thinking about developing a load for a heavier bullet, just to make me feel better.

What do y'all recommend/use?
Where'd you shoot her? Just curious about shot placement.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We all pretty much know that the original mini's were questionable but the newer, 585 series I think,
are all over YouTube shooting at 100 yds. and more with great accuracy for a 'carbine'.
I have both M&P Sport and a Mini. Not to offend anyone but the Mini is funner to shoot. IMHO

My first experience with a Mini-14, 1984, 4 of us went to South Texas for Spring Turkey. Brad took a brand new Mini-14.

The place we were hunting had a postal jeep to use to get through the rocks and mesquite. The place was thick with jackrabbit. Brad quickly learned, running jackrabbit and 5 round Mini-14 mags suck. Fun, but very frustrating, too.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same experience I had with the mini that I briefly owned.

I hung glass on it, got it on paper at 25 yds. then I moved out to 85 yds. with three different brands of ammo shooting on bags and it shot patterns not groups with all three......it quickly got sent down the road.
This was my experience as well. I have owned several and none of them were remotely accurate.

Rob357Sig

Marksman
Reaction score
Same experience I had with the mini that I briefly owned.

I hung glass on it, got it on paper at 25 yds. then I moved out to 85 yds. with three different brands of ammo shooting on bags and it shot patterns not groups with all three......it quickly got sent down the road.
Heard they fixed some of the accuracy issues

Latest posts

Top Bottom