Pulled over and stopped at a DUI checkpoint

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"DUI exception to the Constitution"

DUI exception to the privilege of driving on public roads.

We have rights but the fact remains a drivers license and driving on public roads is deemed a privilege not a right.

So how do we separate rights from privileges?

IMHO the dude did it on purpose to provoke the reaction he received.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DUI exception to the privilege of driving on public roads.

We have rights but the fact remains a drivers license and driving on public roads is deemed a privilege not a right.

FTW. Those are key points that most people yelling "Ah's know mah rights!" are missing.

The way I see it, I must have the state's permission to drive a motor vehicle on public roads. By seeking out that permission and engaging in the act of driving on those public roads, I subject myself to a certain amount of established and judicially validated government oversight and control. Period. Full Stop.

In light of that, refusing to roll down my window for a police officer engaging in official business is quite childish and hardly a statement of individual rights.

Want to man up and "defend your rights"? Be a man and shred your license...don't hide behind a piece of glass. Turn in your SDA permit too while you're at it.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"The use of the highway for the purpose of travel and transportation is not a mere privilege, but a common fundamental right of which the public and individuals cannot rightfully be deprived." Chicago Motor Coach v. Chicago, 169 NE 221.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we have a right to travel, which as been infringed by licensing requirements for so long, it is now viewed as a priveledge. i wonder when we'll start calling the second amendment a priveledge, instead of a right.

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we have a right to travel, which as been infringed by licensing requirements for so long, it is now viewed as a priveledge. i wonder when we'll start calling the second amendment a priveledge, instead of a right.

You got that right. The one and only reason that driving a car wasn't specifically listed in the constitution is they didn't exist.
Imagine what would have happened if they told citizens in the 1780's that they would be required to have a license to ride a horse, donkeys and mules would require separate endorsements and you had no right to operate a wagon or carriage on a road without government permission?

You could be arrested for operating a jackass on a public road without a license.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Want to man up and "defend your rights"? Be a man and shred your license...don't hide behind a piece of glass. Turn in your SDA permit too while you're at it.

I tried carrying a loaded gun w/o a license. Got pulled over for failing to signal, (on my way to work at 5AM) crime fighting public employee asked if I had any weapons in the truck. Being an honest guy, I said yep, there's a pistol under the seat.
Soon I was in the graybar hotel, a thorough search of my truck's toolbox revealed (gasp) another gun, AND some "assault rifle" ammo. Truck was hauled away, cost me well over 500 bucks to get my guns back, I forget what the tow yard charged. Of course after I was booked, the arresting officer stopped by my cell, and remarked that I had a spotless record, I should get a permit. (state issues permits so you can excercise your "rights")

Fast forward ten years - same cop is questioning my son about some ignorant crap he did(I was present at questioning), cop was REALLY pissed, because he had just searched Arby's trash container looking for contraband my son allegedly tossed. He left the room to go search again....my son was 100% wrong, but I sure enjoyed that.
What a crime stopping force.

Latest posts

Top Bottom