Frigidaire 17 cu ft stand alone freezer - stopped cooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I've got a nice upright freezer that recently stopped working. It's frost free so I heard it making some noise a month or so back when it cycled but would stop and kept things at 0 degrees or cooler so just kept an eye on it. Well, it gave up the ghost this past weekend and wasn't sure if anyone here would like to come get and see if they could get it back working. I live in Tuttle and can help load. Other than not working, it's in great condition. I can post pics but it's free!! Looking online, these dang things have gotten crazy expensive over the last few years.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wished I was closer. If it was a clunk sound as the compressor started and stopped, it is probably the compressor internal motor leg broke .

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
It was more of a dull, loud humming/grumbling sound while it cycled. Then it'd be quiet. I'd prefer to fix it but I know nothing about fridges/freezers and figure the costs might be prohibitive especially if needs refrigerant.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
It could be the fan that moves air from the bottom to the top of the freezer. If the very bottom shelf stayed frozen but everything else thawed, it could be a $15 fix. I had to replace the fan in an old Kenmore last year. Was making a humming sound off and on. I lost everything on the top 2 shelves and the stuff in the door but managed to save everything else.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
It could be the fan that moves air from the bottom to the top of the freezer. If the very bottom shelf stayed frozen but everything else thawed, it could be a $15 fix. I had to replace the fan in an old Kenmore last year. Was making a humming sound off and on. I lost everything on the top 2 shelves and the stuff in the door but managed to save everything else.
Thank you! I'll check that and see if I can determine where where the failure is occurring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom