Ques for you hay farmers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only cure for Johnson Grass is Roundup for a season then shoot the neighbors and spray roundup on their plots too. Then maybe, just maybe you'll be able to raise up that bermuda. I wish you all the luck. I fought that stuff off and on when I was wee lad on my grandfather's place. We'd pull it up by the truckloads and burn it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There's two or three Johnson grass specific herbicides out there, or you can let it get tall enough to try and wick it with glyphosate. Trouble with Johnson grass is the root system and the fact that the seeds can lie dormant for 20y. I'd forget the clover aspect of it and concentrate on your Bermuda.

Last edited:

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for johnsongrass.....instead of spending a bundle of money trying to eradicate it let the johnsongrass pay you. it can't stand grazing pressure so just turn the cattle in on it for a season and let the cattle graze it out. develop a rotation for control.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Johnson grass is the bulk of our pasture. Cows and goats don't care...they love it. My neighbor cuts, rakes and bales it and keeps half and buys the rest, 2 or 3 times a year. I keep a couple of bales for my goats.

But, we're not in the business and it's a small acreage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom