Early Spring - "Manicured" lawn area of my property - Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trying to plan a bit for my early spring and my lawn. I have two separate manicured lawns at my place and want to give them a bit of TLC so it growns in nicer this Spring. In late Spring the lawn is mostly green and from a distance it looks great. Up close and walking on it there are some bare patches where the soil is thin or flat stone showing. Other areas have different types of green weeds or other stuff growning that probably should be killed off to let the grass grow better. All in all my lawn needs help so need to take the time to put in some proper care.

Total lawn area is about 2 acres so would rather use my ATV with spreader and Kubota tractor to do a lot of the work rather than by hand. Will rent attachments if needed. Without yall seeing my lawn in person, what would you do to make your lawn hardier and prettier, yes I said that? I'm not terrible knowledgable on weed killers and what's best to help it grow and green. Tell me your process and what you would/currently do for your lawn each early spring. Thanks for the help.

Jcelt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have a Stillwater Milling Store in your area you might want to check them out. They publish a lawn care pamphlet that covers what you need to do on a monthly/seasonal basis and sell what you need. I have found the staff at our store very knowledgeable and helpful with lawn issues and problems.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to plan a bit for my early spring and my lawn. I have two separate manicured lawns at my place and want to give them a bit of TLC so it growns in nicer this Spring. In late Spring the lawn is mostly green and from a distance it looks great. Up close and walking on it there are some bare patches where the soil is thin or flat stone showing. Other areas have different types of green weeds or other stuff growning that probably should be killed off to let the grass grow better. All in all my lawn needs help so need to take the time to put in some proper care.

Total lawn area is about 2 acres so would rather use my ATV with spreader and Kubota tractor to do a lot of the work rather than by hand. Will rent attachments if needed. Without yall seeing my lawn in person, what would you do to make your lawn hardier and prettier, yes I said that? I'm not terrible knowledgable on weed killers and what's best to help it grow and green. Tell me your process and what you would/currently do for your lawn each early spring. Thanks for the help.

Stillwater milling told me years ago to spray glyphosate while the Bermuda is dormant to kill the weeds that germinated in the fall and everything green and to spray a pre-emergent to stop the spring germination.

Fertilizer after the Bermuda starts greening up will do the remaining work to make your turf look great.

This pre-emergent is expensive, up front, but is effective for 18 months, vs others that are effective for 3-4 months.

I’m spraying today. The last 2 days of freezing temps at night have moved any green Bermuda back to dormancy.

This price is from a couple years ago.

IMG_5372.jpeg

The application rate is 1 ounce per acre per 18 months, but I need to double check that. The application rate makes it more affordable that others pre-emergents.

Last edited:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a Stillwater Milling Store in your area you might want to check them out. They publish a lawn care pamphlet that covers what you need to do on a monthly/seasonal basis and sell what you need. I have found the staff at our store very knowledgeable and helpful with lawn issues and problems.
From Stillwater Milling:

IMG_2912.jpeg

IMG_2913.jpeg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take some soil samples send them off and then follow the recommendations of the analysis.
I know the Extension office does soil analysis for hay fields, so they might do it for lawn care, too. As I recall, they provide the probe and the 5-gallon bucket for taking the samples. (I had the pleasure of almost teaching my niece some new vocabulary words when I stepped in a @#$&ing gopher hole while taking the samples.)

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know the Extension office does soil analysis for hay fields, so they might do it for lawn care, too. As I recall, they provide the probe and the 5-gallon bucket for taking the samples. (I had the pleasure of almost teaching my niece some new vocabulary words when I stepped in a @#$&ing gopher hole while taking the samples.)
Glad it wasn't a horse.

Latest posts

Top Bottom