Question for Hk owners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Need some input.

Recently, I suffered several stovepipe failures with a USP 9mm. The gun only has approx 150-250 rounds through it. The factory ammo it did this on was CCI Blazer 9mm. In the past I have used Federal, winchester and Remington UMC without any issues.

So, my questions are:

I know UMC is a hotter load, is blazer a lighter load than the typical federal and winnies?

Is this just a break-in issue (spring is still stiff)?

Should I be considering a talk with Hk USA this early in the game?

The Blazer stovepiped 3 times in 16 rounds.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As long as your gun was clean I would chalk it off to Blazer.

Ive had a couple duds when shooting my G23 with them and no others.

PS...unless it keeps happening!

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say it's an ammo problem. I've never had any malfunctions with my HKs. Maybe a light batch of Blazer. Try some WWB (known to be light) and see if you have any problems. Try the hotter UMCs and see what happens. If you still have problems (make sure you're using all your mags...it might be one of those) then it might be time to call HK.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would a mag cause the stovepipe issues he's seeing?
I'd think if not the ammo (weak), maybe the extractor or ejector is out of sorts.

OKDiesel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a USP .40SW that I bought new and have put ~ 500-600 rounds through it without a single jam or miss feed. I have only shot the big 3 through it, never tried the Blazers. Typically don't have issues with the HK's, but I am sure it happens. I would agree with you and RedTape and put some UMCs through it before you get too concerned.

Got to love the USP. Thought about getting rid of mine when I bought a XD sub for carry, but couldn't do it, love the gun too much....and not everyone has them like some other guns that start with G.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I will run some tests with UMC and blazer to try to pinpoint the issue.

I guess I was a little freaked about it since it has never done it AND this was during a competition (a little embarassing to say the least).

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I might be mistaken but I think that the newer HK's actually mention in the manual that you should not use aluminum or steel cased ammo. Was it Blazer Brass or the original Aluminum?

I have used the Al cased stuff for a while and the only failure I have ever had was one FTFire, a second strike on the primer did the trick.

Evan

Latest posts

Top Bottom