Question for the farmers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's your equipment for airing tires on your farm equipment? Portable generator and electric tire pump?

My Kobalt (Lowes) tire pump is fine for the trucks, but what about a John Deere tractor? The rear tires are lower pressure (than the trucks), but much greater volume. Maybe a generator and air compressor?

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use this for the vehicles.
05435762.jpg

For car and truck tires, it takes awhile. It doesn't produce a very large volume of air.

The tractor is a full sized tractor. The rear tires are only about 25 psi, but the volume is massive. It would take a long time. Push-come-to-shove, I guess I could get by, but there has to be a better way.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use this for the vehicles.
05435762.jpg

For car and truck tires, it takes awhile. It doesn't produce a very large volume of air.

The tractor is a full sized tractor. The rear tires are only about 25 psi, but the volume is massive. It would take a long time. Push-come-to-shove, I guess I could get by, but there has to be a better way.
Yeah, what you have will take a while to completely air up a big tire. I can’t imagine life without an air compressor. I use mine all the time. You should be able to find one for relatively cheap.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a big 220V stand-up air compressor (I don't recall the capacities, but it stands about 5ft tall). Your 12V inflator will work fine for topping off tractor tires, but it's not gonna be fun if you're having to put a lot of air in the tire due to its short duty cycle--the good ones I've seen (including the VIAIR 300 unit I keep in my truck) are usually only rated to run for 10 minutes or less before you have to let them cool.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can’t imagine life without an air compressor. I use mine all the time. You should be able to find one for relatively cheap.
I have an Hitachi 6 gallon:
_ec510-web-1352732035.jpg

Have never used it for the above application. Just for nailing.

It has to recycle often which makes me think it, too, would take a long time for a tractor tire?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
VOLUME is the key. Those 12V are are great for pressure, but won't last long on big volume. They get too hot and stop working.

6 gal tank and 125 psi will do the job and last

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an Hitachi 6 gallon:
_ec510-web-1352732035.jpg

Have never used it for the above application. Just for nailing.

It has to recycle often which makes me think it, too, would take a long time for a tractor tire?
I have used a Porter-Cable "pancake" nailing compressor, similar to yours, to fill the front tires on tractors and tires on implements. It'll get the job done for them (especially when the tire is too far for the big compressor's hose to reach), but I wouldn't want to use it for more than adding a few pounds to the rear tire on a tractor bigger than a lawn tractor.

My Ford 4000's front right tire had a slow leak; if you got it to 38psi, it would be fine all day, but God help you if you only got it to 37.5psi. There was one time that I ended up with a coiled-up air hose and a farm jack on one shoulder and that pancake compressor, a rubber mallet, and a ratchet strap in my other hand, trudging across the hay field to get that ****ing tire back on the rim after only getting not-quite 38 psi into it before starting to cut hay...

Latest posts

Top Bottom