question for the Geek Squad types in here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
can I download it to my thumb drive and use that to boot to?

It should be possible. I've never had the need to try booting from USB though.

Bootable USB with Rufus
Rufus is widely considered to be the fastest and most reliable tool for the creation of a bootable USB. It also supports UEFI (“Unified Extensible Firmware Interface”), a new mainboard firmware that replaced the old BIOS and can already be found on almost all newer computers. From Windows 8, it’s also possible to install “Windows2Go” as a portable operating system on an external storage device with Rufus.

Operation of the tool is simple:

• Open the program with a double-click
  • Select your USB drive in “Device
  • Select “Create a bootable disk using” and the option “ISO Image
  • Right-click on the CD-ROM symbol and select the ISO file
  • Under “New volume label”, you can enter whatever name you like for your USB drive
  • You’ll receive the warning “ALL DATA ON THIS DEVICE WILL BE DESTROYED”, which you can confidently confirm with “OK”– at this point, you’ve ideally already saved any important files from the USB drive
  • Click on “Start
  • As soon as the green bar is full, click on “Finish
  • Eject your bootable USB drive with “Safely eject hardware

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One option might be:
When the login screen appears, try to login as "Administrator" without the quotes..
Using "Administrator" without the quotes as the password..

I don't know if you deleted/removed this login when you first set up the system.. If you didn't remove it, it should work.
If you did remove it, it's just a waste of 3 or 4 minutes to try it.
Awsome, I did not know you could do that.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you need the files off the computer? or do you need to just USE the computer?
It's possible to salvage the files from the HDD, but in order to use the computer the operating system would need to be reinstalled.

Solution 1; rip files from hard drive and put on new comp
Solution 2; rip files from hard drive, reinstall windows, and put files back on hard drive.
Dont even know what all is on it other than one program I'm needing to use for auto diagnostics.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IDK I have the CD but didnt know if it was copy protected to one computer per purchase once installed? How does that work?
this is what I bought
http://www.auto-repair-manuals.com/Auto-Enginuity-PC-Based-Diagnostic-Tools.html

chances are you can contact the software maker and talk them through activations. Before things moved to the cloud we lost access to one of our machines running photoshop and a few other adobe products. Adobe limited installations to 5 machines, so adding it to a new machine was going to put us over the limit. We contacted them and let them know which machine was no longer working and they basically added an additional activation to our account so that we could install it on the new machine.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom