Question for you AR-15 22lr guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking at the Chiappa 22lr upper. I am wanting to cut it down to about 6.5 inches or so. Will this hurt the function of the gun? They are 16 inch uppers when you get them. Thanks guys.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any problems with reliability from chopping the barrel on a .22
It's a blowback operation just like 9mm AR's so there's no need for a gas tube to make it function.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And FYI... CMMG is making a 7" dedicated .22 barrel for AR's that's factory threaded 1/2 x 28 so you can still put your flash hider on there.
They're selling through Brownells/Midway for roughly $100 so you could get that and sell the 16" barrel to make most of your money back.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any problems with reliability from chopping the barrel on a .22
It's a blowback operation just like 9mm AR's so there's no need for a gas tube to make it function.
This is what I thought, but I hated to cut one up and screw it up. A may give it a try.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Me personally, I would buy the 7" CMMG barrel and either keep the 16" as a spare if you decide to go back to a longer barrel later, or just sell it to make my money back.

It'll cost you roughly $75 to $100 to chop and thread it anyways if you have DustinGaunder do it for you.
(don't quote me on price, it's a rough guess. he may charge differently)

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me personally, I would buy the 7" CMMG barrel and either keep the 16" as a spare if you decide to go back to a longer barrel later, or just sell it to make my money back.

It'll cost you roughly $75 to $100 to chop and thread it anyways if you have DustinGaunder do it for you.
(don't quote me on price, it's a rough guess. he may charge differently)
This was my original plan. I will look into the cmmg barrels. Not 100% sure I want to do this yet, bt I have been tossing it around. I thought a 22 pistol ould be fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom